Opinions on the Grizzly 10x22 lathe?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
What do you guys think of the Grizzly 10x22 GR0602 lathe?

Attachments

• grizzly_0602_lathe.jpg
    grizzly_0602_lathe.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Grizzly 10x22 and so far I am impressed. In the past I owned a HF 7x10, Enco 9x20 and another HF 9x20 (besides a couple of South Bend Heavy Tens). The 10x22 beats the other import lathes hands down. Not only in the obvious capacity increases, but build quality is higher and it seems that it was better engineered than the others I've owned. Compared to the 9x20 import lathes, the 10x22 is a class above. I enjoyed the 9x20 lathes and learned a lot in the process, but the 10x22 is so much more robust.

Until I can find the right Logan 11" lathe at the right price, my 10x22 is a keeper!

PaulT - I added a thrust bearing to my compound that almost eliminated backlash. You can see my amateur video of the bearing and a video of the installation via the links below. Don't laugh too hard! Just keep in mind that I am neither a Machinist nor a Videographer. lol

Guy in Sacramento

Bearing video:
[video=youtube;DtGN8G1wMoA] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGN8G1wMoA [/video]

And the installation of it here:
[video=youtube;fUBOxPSyFSw] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUBOxPSyFSw [/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good videos! Watched them all. Thanks

Paul,

The mod was easy for me, so even a monkey should be able to do it. lol

Plus, it was well worth doing!

Email me if I can be of any help.

Guy

I'm very happy with my G0602 lathe.
I designed and built a reverse tumbler gear set for my lathe. I've also designed and built a speed reducer for my lathe. You can see both mods. on this forum.
I'm wanting to either build or buy a quick change tool post. I've built a lantern tool post for the G0602, its I guess old school but works good.
The plans for the reverse tumbler gear set is on "projects in metal" forum look in general discussion for "reverse for G0602". I used a welder in a couple of spots but a guy should be able to make it work with out welding. The reversing gears are out of a small lawn mower engine and should be easy to find. The same gears are used for the speed reducer.
The speed reducer is built from home cast frames using small engine timing gears, home cast pulley blanks all machined on the G0602 lathe. I don't have plans for the prototype I built, as I plan on making it different, easier to build.

hey Norman ill be happy to work up the plans for your speed reducer when u get the final version done.

i built my reverse tumbler with out welding thou i wish i was able to use a welder i just dont have one i can use right now

Blame

PaulT
there is a crude deltacad drawing of the speed reducer, only one measurement is called out to get you going, I did of the newer design at "projects in metal" forum. Plus some info/ bs on the gearing.No reason to wait jump in and start building. You will need to find a couple of trashed small engines and use the gears for your speed reducer.

I'm very happy with my G0602 lathe.
I designed and built a reverse tumbler gear set for my lathe. I've also designed and built a speed reducer for my lathe. You can see both mods. on this forum.
I'm wanting to either build or buy a quick change tool post. I've built a lantern tool post for the G0602, its I guess old school but works good.
The plans for the reverse tumbler gear set is on "projects in metal" forum look in general discussion for "reverse for G0602". I used a welder in a couple of spots but a guy should be able to make it work with out welding. The reversing gears are out of a small lawn mower engine and should be easy to find. The same gears are used for the speed reducer.
The speed reducer is built from home cast frames using small engine timing gears, home cast pulley blanks all machined on the G0602 lathe. I don't have plans for the prototype I built, as I plan on making it different, easier to build.
Be careful using gears from small engines. The Briggs and Stratton gears, for one, are Imperial gears and the gears on the G0602 are metric. It's close to a match but not quite. The 602 gears are mod 1.5 and the B & S gears have a diametral pitch of 16 which would be equivalent to a mod 1.5875. Mixing the two will rapidly wear the gear train with the steel B & S gears winning the battle.

Back