Opinions on the Grizzly 10x22 lathe?

I have the G0752 which is essentially the same lathe except it has VFD. It's a nice little lathe, I am still considered new to maachining but have made quite a few parts and things with this with no real problems with its performance and its easy to upgrade as a couple people above has given examples of.

Great thread!
I have the G0752 which is essentially the same lathe except it has VFD. It's a nice little lathe, I am still considered new to maachining but have made quite a few parts and things with this with no real problems with its performance and its easy to upgrade as a couple people above has given examples of.
Hey Warren, how handy is the VFD? I mean, the lathe has speed adjustments and I have heard from other Grizzly 602 owners they really never have a need for it. I am waiting for the 602 to come in On 7/11 (I have prepaid for one) but the DRO (Z version) and the VFD are available now. Really trying to decide between the 3 version s of this machine. I have been told to get the simplest version and spend the extra $ on tooling...opinion?

In my opinion I would get the VFD. You need to change the speed on the lathe depending on the type of material and size of material your working with . It is a lot easier to turn a knob to change that speed than to have to change the belt all the time. The G0752 still has 3 different speeds to change a belt for but you rarely have to change the belt if you have the VFD. I don't have the DRO but it definitely would be nice to have that too, and it is nice to have it installed by the factory instead of adding later. But, the DRO would be easier to add later then adding VFD later. It is true you will need some tooling, obviously, but you can probably get by with the minimum of tooling and add this and that as you go. So, to sum it up. I would go with the VFD at least and if you can the DRO. But if you cant get any tooling if you do this then I would put off the DRO until later and get some tooling.

In my opinion I would get the VFD. You need to change the speed on the lathe depending on the type of material and size of material your working with . It is a lot easier to turn a knob to change that speed than to have to change the belt all the time. The G0752 still has 3 different speeds to change a belt for but you rarely have to change the belt if you have the VFD. I don't have the DRO but it definitely would be nice to have that too, and it is nice to have it installed by the factory instead of adding later. But, the DRO would be easier to add later then adding VFD later. It is true you will need some tooling, obviously, but you can probably get by with the minimum of tooling and add this and that as you go. So, to sum it up. I would go with the VFD at least and if you can the DRO. But if you cant get any tooling if you do this then I would put off the DRO until later and get some tooling.
See, based on my limited knowledge, I understood the gear changes more for SCREW/BOLTS TPI (speed of table/cutter moving towards chuck) there are speed controls for Chuck rotation speed on control panel. This is how it was explained to me by someone who owns a G0602. There are great options out there, I i got to a point where this upgrade is only $300 & this one is $500 & it's better to start with this machine as a starting model, so $1800 turns into 3o really easy and I still need to get a mill and tooling now. (I sold a 500 hp 350z i built, I have money set aside for everything) i have money burning a hole and am TRYING to be patient and make good decisions, but the kid in me says "JUST ORDER SOMETHING NOW!!!"

The only way to change the spindle speed on the g0602 is with the belts, on a vfd machine you can use a knob on the panel to change the spindle speeds.
To change the threads per inch speeds you have to change some gears and move the 2 dials on the front of the lathe, depending on what you want.

When you change the speed with belts and gears you retain the same HP at all speeds.
When you change the speed with a VFD you lose HP below a certain RPM (2/3rds max)

Well that's not a good selling point. Seriously though, how long does it take to change belts? 2 minutes? 10 minutes? I can deal with 2...10 is a deal killer.

On my Taig micro lathe I change the belts in 10 seconds.
On my 12-36 I change spindle speeds in 5 seconds, and carriage speeds in 10 seconds.

Back