Opinions on the Grizzly 10x22 lathe?

Yes, Mitch is correct... when you use the vfd to slow down the motor it will lose low end torque. So, if you were to slow it down quite q bit you should change the belt to a lower seed also if you need the low end torque. It is only needed if your doing something that will require alot of power when turning slowly, like knurling, etc. Normally you can just use the vfd especially if your not changing speeds from the high end to the low end. All depends on how much power your going to need when slowing down the motor.
Changing the belt on a G0602 or G0752 just requires opening the side cover, loosening the pressure roller and change the belt position... Not much really but when all you have to do is turn a knob for most things it is a difference. I use the vfd most of the time only, like I say unless I need the higher torque at a lower speed.
Of course if you want to change the tpi then you have to change a gear also... that takes a bit more time and learning which gear to change. But, how often will you make threads? I think just once in a while for most people. Probably realistically you will just use a made screw for most things unless a special part needs threads.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound too bad, I'm guessing normally belt changes are needed that often OR, you really don't need to swap back and forth in one project...I guess I won't spend the money on the VFD, maybe the DRO is money better spent.

Well, everytime you work on a different metal or different diameter you will need to change the spindle speed. It saves alot of time to just move the knob to fine tune the speed to get a good cut instead of changing a belt all the time. The Go602 has 6 different speeds , i think, which doesnt give you alot of choices to fine tune the speed and takes up your time changing belts. On one project you will probably using more than one diameter of metal. To me its very convenient to be able to change the speed so easily. When metal is 2 inches in diameter you will need to use a different speed than a 1 inch diameter piece. If cutting steel it will require a different speed than aluminum, etc. If you are working on piece of metal where part of it will be 1 3/4 in diameter and part of it will be 1/2 inch you will need to change speeds to get the best cut.
As far as the DRO they are nice but unless you are doing ultra precision work (which you probably wouldnt be doing much on a G0602 machine) it is not really needed. Dont misunderstand me, I plan on adding a DRO sometime in the future myself but pretty much only for conveinence and fun as I can get by without it. Seems it is easier to add a DRO later than add VFD. I think I would rather have a factory installed VFD. But, to each his own. My 2 cents worth anyway. Have Fun. Warren

Last edited:
Question for you guys that have these lathes. There is a guy in my area that has a G9972Z for sale. It was purchased at the Grizzly tent sale. Had a damaged gear cover that he repaired and repainted. He has been through the machine and it is in new working order. He's asking $1200.00 for it which seems like a pretty decent deal. I have a G8988 mini now. How much of an upgrade would the G9972Z be?

Last edited:
TerryH -- when I was looking, I considered the g9972Z. Got the G0602 because I got a great deal in a similar situation to what you describe. Given the circumstance, I would get the G9972Z. Having cross slide power feed is a real plus. As I recall, the two lathes are substantially similar and chances are low that one will do something the other won't outside of length.
That said, outside of having a VFD, there isn't a strong case for the G0602/G0752.
I have been very pleased with the G0602 - a famous movie character said that you have to know the liimitations.

That doesn't sound too bad, I'm guessing normally belt changes are needed that often OR, you really don't need to swap back and forth in one project...I guess I won't spend the money on the VFD, maybe the DRO is money better spent.

For roughing cuts, I like to take a deep cut, fast transit speed, at moderate spindle speed.
For finishing cuts, I like to take shallower cut, slower transit speed at higher spindle speed (and with a smaller nose radius on the tool.)

DRO is a lot more valuable on the Mill than on the Lathe.

See, based on my limited knowledge, I understood the gear changes more for SCREW/BOLTS TPI (speed of table/cutter moving towards chuck) there are speed controls for Chuck rotation speed on control panel. This is how it was explained to me by someone who owns a G0602. There are great options out there, I i got to a point where this upgrade is only $300 & this one is $500 & it's better to start with this machine as a starting model, so $1800 turns into 3o really easy and I still need to get a mill and tooling now. (I sold a 500 hp 350z i built, I have money set aside for everything) i have money burning a hole and am TRYING to be patient and make good decisions, but the kid in me says "JUST ORDER SOMETHING NOW!!!"
Have you considered the PM-1022V? It’s basically the same machine, but comes with power cross and longitudinal feed, QCTP, etc.

I did....after many conversations with people, I was convinced I needed the Griz. I did opt for the DRO as that is a comfort zone for me. The kid in me won early this morning. Many mods available for it.....and I LOVE modding things!

I’m getting the PM727 so take this with a grain of salt, but the biggest complaint I hear from PM users is the wait if something isn’t in stock...this included parts. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back