Opinions on this centre

Boris Ludwig

Registered
Registered
I've been trying to locate a taper turning attachment for my lathe. They are rare and more than just a few bob.

Anyway, searching ebay for south bend taper turning attachments I came across this which is inexpensive but before I try it I thought I'd ask you guys what you think.s-l400.jpg

How much?
I made one exactly like that.

Why buy what you can have fun making. My-self, i made a taper attachment for my Atlas 618, works great. I have only used it for turning #1 & 2 morse tapers which is why i made it.

As it happens, I was reading about that very thing in an old Pop Mech magazine(ca. 1944) just a couple of days ago. So the idea has been around a while. (~80 yrs, m/l) And that just the printing of the idea.

For making one taper only, MT-1 or MT-2, for casual use, it would more than pay for itself the first time you re-centered the tailstock. Took me several hours the last time I did it on the big lathe. When I made one, it took less time than re-trueing the tailstock. Cost was... I don't remember, mostly stuff. I did buy the MT-2 mandrel, I was in a hurry at the time.

For more serious work, (repitative) I made a taper attachment a few years back for a Taiwanese nine inch machune. Used the idea from Gingery's book on building a lathe. The cross-slide portion........ It worked quite well at the time. I haven't built one for the Craftsman (12X36) because I haven't needed it. Yet.

I honestly don't recall how hard it was to set up. Too many strokes since. But it did the job at the time. Now that they're available on FleaBay, depending on the job load, they might be worth purchasing rather than building. Your call there.

The Old Fart​

Looks good to me, and 75$ is reasonable.

It is difficult to get in the TS straight or flat. Once that MT grips just a little it is hard to move.

I have seen lately that the utubers are putting small bearings on the point to have the end fitt in the Vee when offset something to think about

I have seen lately that the utubers are putting small bearings on the point to have the end fitt in the Vee when offset something to think about

There's spherical ball bearings, that have directional compliance, that would let the tip actually both tilt and swivel:
<https://www.vxb.com/Self-aligning-Bearings-s/199.htm>

If you only need a short taper, you can do it with the compound, so that's my usual solution.

Back