Opinions on this particular Kalamazoo band saw??? - Model H9AWV

Looks very much like my 8CW.

WP_20191112_08_03_46_Pro.jpg

It doesn't see much use, but when it does, nothing else will do. Good old heavy American iron, stoutly built. I also like the simplicity of these old machines. There's not much you can't fix. I took the coolant tank off, significantly reduces the footprint.
I would say that $1000 is right in the range, try to get it for $800.

Looks very much like my 8CW.

It doesn't see much use, but when it does, nothing else will do. Good old heavy American iron, stoutly built. I also like the simplicity of these old machines. There's not much you can't fix. I took the coolant tank off, significantly reduces the footprint.
I would say that $1000 is right in the range, try to get it for $800.

Thank you for the reply... they do look very similar, almost identical. If your big band saw doesn't see much use may I inquire what your main cutting tool is? I am sick of using the abrasive saw and I am looking for something that will handle all of my cutting needs without being too much of a hassle to use.

I have a Kalamazoo H9AW, and it's great. I got it for free, because it had fallen off a truck and broke the main frame casting and one of the big arms that hold the blade bearing was missing. The thing is, it's a brute, designed with lots of margin, so repairing it was not too tough. A friend helped me braze the casting, and as my first real mill project, I made another arm with all the little parts like cams to adjust the blade position. Great fun.

There are cooling passageways through those arms, and yes, it's set up for cooling. I don't do that, just because it's only occasional use and it seems like a tub full of coolant might be more trouble than it's worth.

The hydraulic lift is not working so well, I'll have to overhaul the cylinder one of these days....but it only holds it open, and there's a spring tension for adjusting the down force of the saw. So not really needed.

I also don't know what the V is for. Good documentation is available.

It's extremely heavy, and so I put it on very sturdy casters. It's fairly easy to move it around now. I would think wheels are a must, because of the variability of the lengths and sizes of material you'll want to cut. That 16" width is terrific, and enables projects that could not be done on smaller saws, for example cutting a bunch of steel roofing panels to exact length.

I say offer less, but get it.

Thank you for the reply... they do look very similar, almost identical. If your big band saw doesn't see much use may I inquire what your main cutting tool is? I am sick of using the abrasive saw and I am looking for something that will handle all of my cutting needs without being too much of a hassle to use.

I have an HF 4x6, which has proven to be a very serviceable saw for anything within its envelope. I did burn up the original motor (which apparently had no thermal protection) trying to cut 1x8 O-1 tool steel. I walked away and left it running, the blade hung and stalled the motor. I can't blame the saw for that.

For stainless of the size you are talking about, the Kalamazoo would be an excellent choice. I would definitely try to find a way to use coolant without having to mix a full tank, especially for occasional use. I don't think a dry saw would be very satisfactory for stainless that thick, and, as you've found, abrasive sawing is for farms and welding shops.

I have a Kalamazoo H9AW, and it's great. I got it for free, because it had fallen off a truck and broke the main frame casting and one of the big arms that hold the blade bearing was missing. The thing is, it's a brute, designed with lots of margin, so repairing it was not too tough. A friend helped me braze the casting, and as my first real mill project, I made another arm with all the little parts like cams to adjust the blade position. Great fun.

There are cooling passageways through those arms, and yes, it's set up for cooling. I don't do that, just because it's only occasional use and it seems like a tub full of coolant might be more trouble than it's worth.

The hydraulic lift is not working so well, I'll have to overhaul the cylinder one of these days....but it only holds it open, and there's a spring tension for adjusting the down force of the saw. So not really needed.

I also don't know what the V is for. Good documentation is available.

It's extremely heavy, and so I put it on very sturdy casters. It's fairly easy to move it around now. I would think wheels are a must, because of the variability of the lengths and sizes of material you'll want to cut. That 16" width is terrific, and enables projects that could not be done on smaller saws, for example cutting a bunch of steel roofing panels to exact length.

I say offer less, but get it.
Is your Kalamazoo your main metal cutting tool?

Is your Kalamazoo your main metal cutting tool?

Yes, it is. I wish I had a vertical bandsaw, but space, cost, time, etc. You know.
I built a small pallet for it that I described in another thread that lets me cut small parts precisely. Basically a tray with clamps that I can hold in the 9AW vise. So unless a vertical bandsaw falls off a truck, I'm set.

Unless your's is different, the cylinder is strictly an air cylinder for holding the saw up and controlling the downfeed pressure. It took me a bit to figure out exactly how it worked.

I have a Kalamazoo 610 and I love it. When I purchased mine I went through everything, cleaned everything, painted and resealed the drop cylinder. I added wheels for easy of moving. Love the saw had for over 10yrs with no problems. Cuts straight as a arrow

I just picked up a Kalamazoo 610-W bandsaw today. I have found a manual online but not finding much more specific to this model.
The search here won't accept 610 so I can't look for posts on just this model but I ran across this post and see you also have one of these saws.

Seems you like it, but thought I'd see if you had any thoughts on the saw, issues to watch out for etc. It appears using it as a vertical saw was limited to only one variant, which is not this one. Curious if you've made any mods to yours to use it in the vertical position.

This saw came out of a fab shop that replaced it with a cold saw. It is old and dirty but appears to work fine, except for the blade coolant system. They don't use it so didn't know if it works or not, and it isn't that big of a deal for me, I can use a brush if I'm cutting something that needs a cutting fluid.

@MikeInOr I know this thread is old but I am currently looking at a Kalamazoo H9AW on an auction. It is a 3 phase but I am thinking I can put a VFD on it, or swap the motor out. Did you ever get yours?

Back