Opinions please....

ThunderDog

Registered
Registered
I'm going to take a look at a Sheldon lathe. The price is set firm @ $475.
I've never seen a Sheldon first hand, so I did a little reading on lathes.co.uk. No model numbers listed and the gentleman could not remember bed length, center to center, or spindle bore size. I'll assume it's the 10" variety. It has the original cabinet. One of my main reasons for upgrading to a new lathe is to find something with a larger spindle bore. My current lathe is a Myford M series.
Here is what I know:
It has the double lever quick change gearbox.
It comes with a 4 jaw Chuck, fixed steady, and face plate.

I suppose my main question is whether or not $475 is reasonable and whether Sheldons are decent machines.20171208_150745.jpg

Unless it's a complete piece of junk (and it doesn't look like it) I would buy it right away; Heck yes Sheldons are more than decent
Mark
ps a machine like that would be 3-4x that price out here

Last edited:
plus one for what Mark said...

Assuming it checked out okay in person, I'd buy it. Heck, I'm not that far away, if you decide it isn't for you let me know.

Check the ways, gears, parts are slim to none and pricey ,should have double v belt drive,
it looks similar to my 13" te1236p that needs a complete taredown and cleaning "some week "

It depends of what hobby you are persuing. I LOVE to rebuild machines, and that is more than 50% of my metalworking hobby. If you hate doing all the mechanical and restoration work on machines, it will just sit in your garage until you resell it. :rolleyes:

Yes Buy it now! Unless there is something rediculously wrong with it. You have another lathe if parts are needed. It looks like it has been ran latelely as the combo feed lead screw has no rust. If the ways are bad it could still do alot of general machining where a high tolerance isn t needed. 475$ is nothing today!

I paid about that for a delta Rockwell 11" some years back. Complete but needs to be put back together.

Not positive if they are in the same exact class, I believe so. I'd buy it.

Ok, sounds like this is worth it.

About how much do one of these weigh?
My harbor freight trailer is only rated to 1100 lbs.
May have to call my dad, to borrow his if needed.

Back