Opinions please....

If the machine isn't all clapped out it's well worth the money. I have a little newer Sheldon model MW-56-P, and it's a great machine. There is a Sheldon lathe group on Yahoo. It's run by a gentleman by the name of John Knox. He was an engineer for the company for many years. He is a great source of knowledge. I have spoken to John on a couple occasions when adjusting spindle bearings and rebuilding the drive system on my machine. He is easy to talk to and is more than happy to lend a helping hand and give guidance to new Sheldon owners.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups...lYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTUwMTc4MjMxOA--

While parts with the Sheldon nameplate and part numbers may not be readily available many of the generic parts are still available. There are still some vendors that carry OEM parts for some models. Bourn and Koch in Chicago comes to mind. In years past they sold Sheldon machines and support them as much as possible. Keep in mind Sheldon went out of business in 1999 or 2000, so it's not like they've been gone a hundred years. There are still quite a few of their machines in repair and production shops.

https://www.bourn-koch.com/

The "lathe" portion of my particular machine was rebuilt by the previous owner. By "lathe" I'm referring to the spindle, carriage, bed, and tailstock. He replaced worn and broken gears, worn spindle bearings, lead screw, carriage (including new feed screws, bearings, and having the ways ground). He also had the bed reground. In short the working parts of the machine were new (25 hrs. of use) when I purchased it.

I just finished rebuilding the drive section and adding a tachometer. The drive on this machine is a Worthington model 3B AllSpeed drive. It's similar to a Reeves drive in that it uses 2 sets of variable sheaves to change speeds rather than change gears. While the machine is 60 years old all the bearings and bushings are still available as off the shelf items from bearing suppliers. The original bearing manufacturer is long out of business, but there are many other brands that cross reference.

As far as controls are concerned Sheldon used Furnas for many years. Like Sheldon Furnas is long gone. However if you need small parts there are still a number of companies with new old stock. If you need major electrical components I would switch to Allen Bradley. The contacts and coils in my machine are still in good shape. However when/if they do require replacement I have purchased a NOS 709 reversing starter system in the factory enclosure for $100.00.

In short almost everything needed to refurbish and/or repair a Sheldon machine is still available. It may take some time to research specific components, but unless the machine is worn or damaged to the point of no return it can be brought back to life.

I hope you buy it because otherwise it might end up in my garage.

Uhaul rents trailers, they have a 4x8 with ramp that goes in the 20 per day range, a 5x8 in around the same price range. The 5x8 is rated in the 2000lbs range.
I use them all the time.

Extremely well made machines , up above south bend at the time I think . Worst thing I ever did was sell mine. It was just that machine pictured. I had lever 5 C collets , and chucks . I don't remember the model , but it had variable speed with a crank in front Reeves drive . I do remember it never let me down or didn't have power. Quiet too, with belt drive.

Last edited:
Sheldon's were originally made in their factory on Cottage Ave. in Chicago. They later moved to Knox Ave. They had a Customer support division in Fremont Ohio. The company later became a division of National Acme Company in Cleveland. National Acme went out of business in 1999 or 2000.

John Knox of the Yahoo Sheldon Lathe Group has a Word document with a brief history of the company and his employment with them. It's under the "Files" section on the website.

As for a trailer to transport it I would look for a drop bed equipment trailer. They are available from many rental chains like Sunbelt Rentals.

They have 3 different sizes available. Here's a link to their middle sized one:
https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equi...0140/6ft-x-10ft-lift-bed-single-axle-trailer/

United Rentals also has a couple sizes available:
https://www.unitedrentals.com/marke...ilers/trailer-equipment-double-axle-special#/

Be sure to call ahead wherever you want to rent. These trailers are quite popular so it may take a week or two to get one lined up.

Last edited:
I've owned two Sheldon lathes over the years. They are good machines, nothing on them you can't fix yourself. Look at the ways and see if they are harden and ground. Serial number is stamped between the front ways at the tailstock end of the bed. I agree with diane, this one is a newer one. Hopefully not too molested. Most of the repair parts available from B & K can easily be made if needed. And there's many of us here that are willing to help you out on any repairs including myself. Ken

Yeah, I'm primed to get this thing. 4gsr, you've helped me before and maybe you could answer another ultra rookie question. How does one identify that they are hardened and ground? Surely, not with a stroke of a file, right? I just put my newbieness on full display.:eek 2:

On the Southbend there is an additional nameplate "Flame hardened" which I have on my Heavy 10.

Yeah, I'm primed to get this thing. 4gsr, you've helped me before and maybe you could answer another ultra rookie question. How does one identify that they are hardened and ground? Surely, not with a stroke of a file, right? I just put my newbieness on full display.:eek 2:
My last Sheldon I bought, I did a file test on the bed, well, it was after I bought it. Unfortunately, Sheldon did not put a label on the bed indicating it was hard like some of the other lathe manufactures did.
Best way to tell of it is harden is to look for scoring marks or drag marks on the way surfaces. If none, and they feel smooth without any gouges either, they are more than likely harden. Look for ground surfaces at each end of the bed, another indication it is harden. I would say, most later Sheldon's were sold with harden ways.

Ken

Back