Opinions: To paint shiplap or not to paint shiplap

It is hard to tell from the photos but it may require a lot of prep work to get a decent paint job that will last and not look worse depending on the condition of the wood. Once painted it will have a maintenance cycle needing periodic repainting. You can't just paint wood once and forget about it. Might be worth getting a couple of quotes from professional painters and see what they think it will need prep wise.

Use the chemicals to wash the siding, high pressure washing just blows away the softwood between the annular growth rings. Like sand blasting, it gives it a rough texture and lots of water in the wood( as you mentioned).

tell her that if she paints it, she is responsible for painting it Forever! I would stain it, and as it looks like it has already been stained, it depends on what type of stain has been used as to whether it will take paint without a great deal of work or at least some sort of seperator coat. On weathered wood, about an hour in, she will wish she never started, if she wants a colour change, much less hassle and much less maintenance, fit plastic or steel siding!

I have been the owner of 2 houses with wood siding. In each case, some previous owner got tired of trying to keep paint on the wood and covered it with something requiring less maintenance. The first was done with asbestos tile, which was never painted. My wife wanted to paint it, but I refused, knowing that once you paint something it's an ongoing commitment. I did have all the trim and windows repainted, which seemed to satisfy her. She left anyway. My current home has vinyl 2 lap siding over rough-sawn 1x12. It requires no painting or maintenance beyond washing. It is, however fading from brown to a bluish color in areas with direct sun exposure. I would guess that in Texas the appearance of vinyl would begin to degrade within 10 years, despite the claims of the manufacturer, leaving you in the same situation with something that is very difficult to paint. Unfortunately, I live in an area of high wildfire danger, making vinyl a very poor choice. I'd love to have Hardie Plank or galvanized steel (flat or corrugated), though given the nature of the recent fires, it would make little difference.

I have a theory about the kind of work that you can interest a man in doing. It is related to the frequency with which the job must be done. The greater the frequency (monthly, weekly, daily), the less interested. After all, it will just need to be done again tomorrow. A job that can be done once in a lifetime? Now that's the kind of thing a man can get behind. Whether genetic or cultural, women generally seem to have a lower tolerance for dirt, disorder and disheveled appearance. Hence we find the traditional division of labor. This is, of course, a generalization. YMMV. Regardless, try to find a solution that will satisfy both of you with an eye to the long term.

I spent many hours installing shiplap lumber on cruiser deck houses. none of them had a 'reveal'.

Note that the extension E on the right is longer than the relief on the left.

1542600506248.png

On the boats, they were drilled for dowels before the profile was cut, then doweled and glued together, sanded flat.

Hope 1542600506248.pngthis goes through. Poo Didn't want to images.

That's what I was trying to point out in post #7.....that siding is Dutch lap. The reason it is so dark is because it wasn't installed right. Cedar siding will turn dark when it can't breathe. If you pull it off, you'll probably find sheeting and house wrap or visqueen underneath. Same thing with cedar shake shingles on modern houses. I've seen cedar shingles rot within a year because they were laid on top of felt, and never get a chance to dry out.
Cedar shingles need to dry from the inside out, that's why they were nailed to furring strips on the rafters, not sheeting. The heat from the attic dissipates through the shingles.
My father was an "old school" roofer for 47 yrs.....he did teach me a few things.

It's lap siding, but not ship lap. I was a GC for many years, and have put up a lot of cedar. I absolutely despise paint. Paint once, and you will be painting and scraping forever. Cedar, properly taken care of will last longer than we will. I have wainy edge cedar on my house, and every 6-7 years I pressure wash (just don't get carried away), and apply a penetrating sealer with a weed sprayer. After 35 yrs it still looks great. I think the natural cedar would have better resale. Mike
CIMG3495.JPG

Back