Opinions Wanted-headstock

Early fifties as near as I can tell. The Smith welding equipment company in Minnesota made gas welding equipment, acetylene generator units, and arc welders. Also had a talent for art deco design apparently.
Mark S.

So you are planning to replace the square head on an MK2 with an older 618 head? I'd be interested in hearing more about the reasons for doing so.

(Later edit - disregard above - found an earlier post where you detailed the reasons.)

(Love the arc welder! Maybe one of R2D2's cousins, or something from a Buck Rogers set?)

Last edited:
The MK2 isn't so bad really but I don't like how they did the sliding coupler. The one little woodruff key has to carry all the force from the pulley to the spindle- they should have used 2x 180 degree keys or a spline design. There's also noticeable deflection with heavy cuts especially with the ball bearing version.
Mark S.

Just because the major diameter [of the 618 spindle nose threads mentioned in an earlier post] has a taper, does not mean the pitch diameter is tapered. Check it with thread wires or a pitch micrometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, only the major diameter has been filed down. Probably have little or no impact on usability.
MS

Back