Opinons...what's The Optimal Shop Humidity?

Yep, but it's not so bad for a wooden toolbox. I think the wood insulates the extreme temp. change Wood doors insulate well on a house, much better than a steel door. So I think the metal transmits the temp change to the interior too. As well open wood (not finished) will absorb the moisture and prevent the tools from rusting. The wood will swell , but it will come back to equilibrium with the environment in time.

Yep, wood is a poor conductor of heat, steel is a pretty good conductor, and aluminum is a nightmare.....

119 deg. in phoenix today, 96 in Denver, 71 in my BASEMENT where the shop is. Ahhhhh. When the outdoor temperature gets less than
the upstairs temperature a large window (very heavy duty window fan) turns on and pulls the "cooler" outside air into the house through a couple of large furnace filters.
By morning it will be in the mid to low 60's in my basement at about the time that the upstairs gets cooler than the outside air and the fan shuts down. The only humidity that I know of comes when I take a shower.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

119 deg. in phoenix today, 96 in Denver, 71 in my BASEMENT where the shop is. Ahhhhh. When the outdoor temperature gets less than
the upstairs temperature a large window (very heavy duty window fan) turns on and pulls the "cooler" outside air into the house through a couple of large furnace filters.
By morning it will be in the mid to low 60's in my basement at about the time that the upstairs gets cooler than the outside air and the fan shuts down. The only humidity that I know of comes when I take a shower.

CHuck the grumpy old guy
Low humidity in the shop is always good. Fortunately where I live it is normally low, and only occasionally too hot, but does get a bit cold, although not as cold as you guys in Nth America, in winter. My shop is in the garage which is provided with air con air from the house, and also connected to the underfloor heating system, So winter min is about 16c and summer max about 30c. that would be on a very hot day with outside temp about 44c + usually more like 23c in summer in the shop.

Back