Optical Comparator or microscope?

fretsman

Active User
Registered
Hi all,

I was hoping some of you could guide me as to what I should purchase. I do a lot of CNC engraving and needless to say, it's tricky getting a good look at cutter tips to see condition, size, shape, etc.

I don't have a LOT of room in my tiny garage shop, so I was curious to know your experience and thoughts about using an Optical Comparator or microscope? What do you all use? We have a nice Mitutoyo at work, and while it's very nice to use that, it can be a bit of pain at times as you can imagine. It'd be very handy to have something at home to use when needed.

Thanks for your time and thoughts-
Dave

The microscope will allow you to see the shape as you grind but it cannot compare to anything. The Comparator does what its name implies. It allows you to see the tip against a known shape on a transparency. The do make comparators that are Bench Top. 2 cents worth.

"Billy G"

We had an optcial comparator at prior job and it was pretty useful because you could get very good approximations of actual measurements. There is a grid that is overlayed on the viewed screen and the graticules are of a known spacing. You could magnify the image such that two chosen landmarks on the piece line-up to the graticule borders and from that, a simple calculation would tell you the distance between the landmarks.

Ray

Thank you both for your thoughts, they're much appreciated.

Do they not make a microscope that has retical/graduated style lenses?

Thanks!
Dave

The one we have at work is purely electronic with the display showing-up on built-in display. It's made by Dazor called a speckfinder. If I had to take a guess, it's probably in the 10 grand range. It's a very common unit used for crime/evidence analysis and I believe it has comparator ability but, I never use it for that.

That said, you could probably buy an inexpensive USB magnifyer, take pictures of known graticules then, once the images are loaded into the computer, do the overlay with software (possibly just a word processor or photo editing program). Mabye there's already software that does this or comes with the USB cameras... -Just guessing.

BTW: Decent USB cameras with 200x magnification are dirt cheap -like under 50 bucks.

Ray

Thank you both for your thoughts, they're much appreciated.

Do they not make a microscope that has retical/graduated style lenses?

Thanks!
Dave

Go on eBay and look up "measurement microscope". You'll find a variety of comprator-related products ranging in price. Some of it is software but the packages I saw come from China. I do not ever, ever, ever install cheap software from China on my computer. On the one or two times I did, I got very serious viruses. Anti-virus software will do you no good at all once you give the software permission to install itself.

Ray

I've used a USB based microscope for particle analysis and been pleasantly surprised, and I've used a 20k Deltrtonic optical comparator with edge finder. Loved that thing. But for your purposes, I believe a comparator would be an overkill. Nice to have, no doubt, but much more capability than required. Why not try a loupe with graticule? It would be a low cost experiment and might be just the thing. I have one that I use quite a bit to look at small radii and tool edges. Next up I'd go with a USB microscope. Unless you happen to run across a deal on a comparator that is.

If you're just trying to assess condition of cutter (and not re-grinding), then I think both may be overkill. A simple loupe with a 10x magnification and a good light source may be all you need.

Dave--maybe I am a good scrounger or too cheap to buy something expensive, but here is what I use that didn't cost me over a dollar and it just took me time to come up with an inspection station for viewing tiny objects. the black spot on the base is where I lay a tiny bit or item---hope the pics will show how I can hang it on my door or set it on a bench---sorry I see that it needs to be cleaned and maybe some fresh paint. I made a simple method of adjusting the viewer height from the base....:))Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 102.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 111.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 110.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 109.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 108.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 107.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 106.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 105.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 104.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 103.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 113.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 112.jpg

Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 113.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 102.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 103.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 104.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 105.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 106.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 107.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 108.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 109.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 110.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 111.jpg Davids machine pics 6-30-2013 112.jpg

Back