Ordered a 6 Jaw Lathe Chuck

Rats, mine just arrived today and I was looking forward to seeing your set-tru procedure on this chuck, Oh well I will muddle through and see what I can do.

Chuck looks pretty good overall, some rust on one jaw and a lot of grit inside but I'm optimistic it will end up fine.

Rats, mine just arrived today and I was looking forward to seeing your set-tru procedure on this chuck, Oh well I will muddle through and see what I can do.

Chuck looks pretty good overall, some rust on one jaw and a lot of grit inside but I'm optimistic it will end up fine.

If you really need help with the detailed design, I could spec mine out and post detailed drawings. Let me know if you need the diagram. I'm off-the-charts busy with my daytime/real job and the chuck, as-is, stays true to the tune of a few thou over 18 inches. That's pretty good.

Just as with all self-centering chucks, it's a good practice to wiggle the part as you tighten the jaws. This helps the jaws settle into an optimal position right before snugging them up.

When I took the back off after initial assembly, I cut the shoulder back a few thou. I didn't use a cutter; I used a flat file while it spun on the spindle. Upon putting the chuck body back on, a proof bar was mounted, the bolts were lightly snugged and the body was tapped until the indicator zeroed. Since tightening the bolts, it has remained true.

Ray

Ray, no worries I will figure it out. Just yanking your chain a little, but thanks for the offer.

Here's the 8" big brother. I got tired of it sitting in that cute little box. The crate is actually quite nice and is very re-usable. My wife was eyeing it so I suspect it will suddenly disappear.
IMG_20180206_181036.jpg

Aside from an extra 2 inches and what feels like 40lbs, it's identical to the other one inside and out. I took no photos of the insides of this one. Just look back a few posts and see the 6" guts.
IMG_20180206_181258.jpg

After rinsing all the parts individually, applying a light layer of grease and re-assembly, this one was a little stiffer to operate than the smaller one. The jaws were a slightly tighter fit. No worries, in time all chucks loosen-up.

This is really a case of Deja-Vu. The backplate took a touch of adjustment to open-up the tapered hole then, the registration shoulder was turned-down just a few thou so I could loosen the main bolts and bump it around if ever needed.

Just like the other chuck, this one was running like a champ right out of the starting blocks. With the RO adjusted to zero 1" from the jaws, it had +/- 1.5-ish at 20 inches down range. The TIR looked to be 3.25 thou. I was using a half-thou indicator and the probe was properly tangent to the shaft to get a decent reading.

FWIW, I ordered one of these on eBay and one on Amazon. I don't know this CME seller from Adam or Eve but all I can say, is they carry decent cheap chucks. I started cleaning this thing up at 6:45pm and was taking TIR measurements in under 90 minutes. I can live with that and suspect these chucks will be the last ones I'll ever need to buy.

IMG_20180206_201350.jpg

Ray

Here's the 8" big brother. I got tired of it sitting in that cute little box. The crate is actually quite nice and is very re-usable. My wife was eyeing it so I suspect it will suddenly disappear.
View attachment 257088
Ray

LOL: I called it! Yep, the cute little crate vanished. Found it up in the wife's art/craft room. I'm sure it will be put to good use...

Ray

Quick update on a little tweak to the chucks.

These are abrasive scouring wheels that fit in a die grinder. I believe these were from Lowes, Home Depot or possibly Harbor Freight and are inexpensive.
IMG_20180208_210559.jpg

On both chucks I did a quick pass over all the external burrs on the jaws and a very light touch on some of the outer exposed areas of the body that could possibly contact skin. For the record, I never put my hand on a rotating chuck...
IMG_20180208_210700.jpg

Anyhow, that pretty-much sums-it-up for these two chucks. They are running very well and hold a pretty good zero (about 1 to 1.5 thou) across a range of diameters. I've checked at ranges between 1" to 2" on the small chuck and up to 3.5" on the large chuck. They are very nice and I'm pleased with them. If I ever decide to add the set-tru feature, I'll post that here. For now, these are good enough and if I need to really dial in, I'll loosen the bolts and bump the body to fine-tune the piece.

Regards

Ray

here is a cushman 6" i converted to a set-tru, done it several years ago and it works great

20161109_183933.jpg

Back