[4]

Ordered a Jet 414500 horizontal band saw today

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Every metal working shop needs a band saw. I already have an industrial 6x12 horizontal saw but I was missing the ease of intricate cutting in a horizontal saw. Jet seems to be a good brand, the reviews are decent. The 414500 is a good versatile fit for me.
It comes with 5 slow SFPM feeds for metal and a high speed for wood applications.
I purchased it from MJB welding supply in Yuba City ca. Latigo gave me a great price.
I am getting close to having a well equipped shop.
My dream is coming true.
Pics to follow

Eddyde

Registered
Registered
Agreed, a vertical bandsaw is a great machine to have on hand. I recently converted a wood bandsaw to metal cutting and now use it as often, if not more then my horizontal. Even for straight cuts, especially on short pieces, it is easier to use. Looking forward to seeing pics of your shop!

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That would be a vertical saw, I have a VS converted band filer made by Doall , works good with the rite blade
The jet should be a good one after the setup, tweeking

Attachments

Janderso

Sweet Doall!!!!!
All I need is a Jet Horizontal. The bottom two pics are my old Marvel 612. I replaced the guide bearings, installed a new needle valve and replaced the blade with a Starret 3/4".
I'm getting there. The tool box on my maple top is full of tooling. That's where the big money is. The overflow is in the shelving unit above the other bench. A welding table is on the way also-certiflat 24" x 36".
The free standing grinder/buffer is my new project. It's getting welded and painted with my new to me steady rest.

Attachments

dlane

Active User
Nice shop ,Dose the jet “ vertical “ saw have roller guides or solid
I think you mean a vertical saw , you already have a horizontal “ jet 414500 vertical band saw”

Janderso

Yeah you are correct-vertical. Regarding roller or solid? I'm not sure.
I will find out soon enough. What would be better in your opinion?
I wish I could go to a showroom somewhere and look, see, compare machines but those days are over I guess.
The exception is Grizzly, the next time I am in Washington I will swing by. You then have Grizzly choices.

dlane

Active User
I’m running solids on the Doall but it is for metal only, was told solid for metal,, bearings for wood, makes sense

Janderso

It is such a nasty area for bearings. Coolant/oil with chips and small bits of metal swarf. If the bearings are not completely sealed they shouldn't last long. I put new bearings on my horizontal saw and I am wondering how long they will last. I switched to wax. Cleaner IMHO.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
I've always used wax in my vertical bandsaw. \works well, and no mess...:tranquility:

sanddan

Active User
I have the variable speed version of that bandsaw and like it a lot. I used to use a converted wood saw which was an ok solution but the VS saw has more torque. I haven't been able to stall it yet. You'll love it I bet.

Janderso

The Vertical Jet arrived at work last Wednesday. I loaded it up on the truck, took it home and realized it was too heavy to unload. What a dingleberry.
My wife and I are in our 60’s, 380 lbs. is just a bit too much to muscle it off the truck. Back to work with it.
We have a forklift at the shop so unloading is a piece of cake.
To add to my frustration, the Certiflat welding table arrived also.
We are in Loreto, Mexico as I write this. I am preoccupied by all the projects, new equipment, placement, construction, planning etc.
What a great problem to have.
The guides on the Jet Vertical 14” saw are roller bearings. It comes with two blades, one for wood and one for steel.
Any preference over Lennox vs Starret blades?
Oh well, have to get ready for the Island tour, have to go,

mikey

Active User
Without a doubt, go with Lenox bi-metal blades.

Janderso

Oh, ok. Latigo, at MJB Welding supply in Yuba City, ca. Said that’s all they sell.
Great, thanks.

[6]
[5] [7]