Ordered a Mini-Split Today

I am thinking about mounting the condenser in a spot I hadn't originally thought about due to the 25 foot liquid line.
I wish they offered different length packages as mine is going right outside the shop.
It seems simple enough.
3 tons is a big unit. I assume you use it for heat more than AC in Vancouver.
You can just leave the excess refrigerant lines coiled up behind the condenser.

I have a 36k unit and a 1700 square foot shop. This winter it was about 25 degrees in my shop and I turned the heat on the night before I wanted to work. The unit got my shop to about 50 degrees. Workable, but chilly. I'm going to supplement it with a large wall heater for next winter.

The 36k unit is the largest one they make. In hind sight I probably should have just put a couple or large wall heaters in instead. I don't really have a problem tolerating the heat in the summer so I probably won't use the AC portion of it, its' just the 20 degree days in winter where my fingers just don't work very well that I need heat for.

If your going to heat just half of your shop it should work for it, but trying to heat the entire 1900 square feet it just won't be near enough.

I installed a used gas furnace in my shop, heats up in a couple minutes and cheap to run. Loads of good used furnaces under $200 available.

I installed a used gas furnace in my shop, heats up in a couple minutes and cheap to run. Loads of good used furnaces under $200 available.

I don't have gas available here. Electric only.

I measured my needed length to be 30' if I want to install the condenser at ground level. I could do a rooftop condenser mount (I have a hatch to the roof) but it would be a PITA for service and I would have to work a way to get the condenser unit to the roof.

It also appears that Mr. Cool condenser power comes from the mains which is easier to do at ground level. I have 30 amp 230 volt electric service run to a subpanel in my attic workroom but it is currently dedicated to electric baseboard heating. Running additional power to the attic space is out of the question so the electric heat would have to be at least partially decommissioned to run the A/C as a heat pump.

Lots to consider.

Back