Ordered a PM-25MV

I've had my PM-24MV for a few months now and have no complaints. I still believe its the best choice in its class. For me it was between this one and the similar Grizzly. I think the PM was around 300 bucks more if I remember right. But for that you get a 3 year warranty and a belt drive (like a bridgeport) instead of a gear drive. The result is a smoother running machine without having to worry about stripping plastic gears. For building folders this mill will do just fine. The biggest challenge will be setting up your jobs, and no matter what machine you have, that's always the most time consuming task.
That's not all you get, if you are comparing it the G0704.

The two look very similar, but there are a lot of key differences. First, the PM-25 has a brushless motor instead of the brushed motor a G0704 has. That gives you a bit more torque on the low end, it runs quieter, and requires almost no maintenance. The way the base and column connect is also different. The PM-25 column bolts to the base from the top, with the base extending all the way to the rear of the column. The G0704 bolts to the back of the base. This means the G0704 base is smaller, and there is less contact area where the two connect. The saddle on the PM-25 is much thicker than the one on the G0704, which again means more rigidity. The base is bigger and wider on the PM-25 compared to the G0704. When you look at the 2, the G0704 has a slant at the base that starts right below the saddle, until it gets to the bottom. The PM-25 goes straight out then down. The PM-25 has a solid table while the G0704 has open ends that the X axis lead screw blocks close up. The single piece table is going to be a little bit stronger. I am pretty sure the table is thicker on the PM-25 if the model of the G0704 I downloaded is accurate. The G0704 does not come with oil grooves and oiling dimples, but the PM-25 does.

There really isn't any comparison between the two, and when you consider that the PM-25 is now $1770 and the G0704 is $1838, its a no brainer.

Shooter, I was poking around looking for input.
A thanks from me for the explanation of the differences.
Jeff

Shooter, I was poking around looking for input.
A thanks from me for the explanation of the differences.
Jeff
I am glad I could help! They look really similar until you have looked at them a whole lot trying to decide between the two. Now, I can't imagine how they sell any G0704s because the PM-25 is better in every way, has better support, and its now cheaper.

I am glad I could help! They look really similar until you have looked at them a whole lot trying to decide between the two. Now, I can't imagine how they sell any G0704s because the PM-25 is better in every way, has better support, and its now cheaper.

Not in the way of RPM (after mods), but superior in every other way. I break a lot of engraving tools on SS and Ti, but it gets by I suppose.

Not in the way of RPM (after mods), but superior in every other way. I break a lot of engraving tools on SS and Ti, but it gets by I suppose.
Im not sure what you mean. Stock they have very similar spindle speeds, except the PM-25 has a superior motor (more torque through the RPM range) and has a belt drive. Not sure you can compare 2 machines after modifying them, because they can be modified any number of ways to get the sort of performance you are looking for.

Im not sure what you mean. Stock they have very similar spindle speeds, except the PM-25 has a superior motor (more torque through the RPM range) and has a belt drive. Not sure you can compare 2 machines after modifying them, because they can be modified any number of ways to get the sort of performance you are looking for.

There are no established mods for significant increase for the PM-25, as it seems to be electronically limited. After my warranty is up, I will have a look at increasing it, but as of now there isn't much more than a few suggestions out there to follow. The Grizzly has several established methods.

I suppose it does not matter for somebody who has the skill to tackle either machine in their own way, but to a newbie who is looking to purchase something with importance for greater potential with regard to RPM increase, the G0704 has the edge.

There are no established mods for significant increase for the PM-25, as it seems to be electronically limited. After my warranty is up, I will have a look at increasing it, but as of now there isn't much more than a few suggestions out there to follow. The Grizzly has several established methods.

I suppose it does not matter for somebody who has the skill to tackle either machine in their own way, but to a newbie who is looking to purchase something with importance for greater potential with regard to RPM increase, the G0704 has the edge.
Oh I see what you mean now. Im not sure how easy the speed increase is on the Grizzly, but for the PM-25 its as simple as making new pulleys. I made a smaller one for the spindle and a larger one for the motor and bumped it up to 5500 RPM. Easy and inexpensive.

Oh I see what you mean now. Im not sure how easy the speed increase is on the Grizzly, but for the PM-25 its as simple as making new pulleys. I made a smaller one for the spindle and a larger one for the motor and bumped it up to 5500 RPM. Easy and inexpensive.

Oh nice! If you have pulley dimensions that you could share I would be eternally grateful. 5500 would be plenty for my needs.

What are the differences in the PM 25 and the PM 727?
727 is gear drive?

Back