Ordered a PM-935TV This Week

catoctin

Active User
Registered
I have been looking at mills for several months and decided to go with this one based on feedback from this board both on the machine and Matt. Now for the long wait and preparations. I still need to get Matt to add a few options before the mill is finally shipped to me. This leads to a few questions:

1. I was thinking of going with the PM-45PDF for the longest time before deciding to go with the 935. Did anyone look at or go with the 935 z axis power feed? Also, I noted a "Power Feed on Quill, 3 Steps". What exactly is that compared to the z axis power feed?

2. A mobile base is a must for me. I plan on using Mason MLS-1000 levelers and Albion 2" casters (purchased a month ago). Both are rated at 1000lbs. I am now designing the base and curious how close the mill base mounting holes are to the edges? I am planning to use angle iron to support the mill and need to figure out how wide it needs to be in order to make use of the mounting bolts. I am assuming the casting is hollow on the bottom and only needs edge support. Correct assumption?

3. Lifting?? My original plan was to use a 2 ton HF engine lift. The mobile base will pretty much rule this out due to clearance issues with the legs. It looks like it will be off to the rental yard across the bay that has gantry cranes with 3000lbs ratings. It seems like this may be my only option. What have others done?

I have been looking at mills for several months and decided to go with this one based on feedback from this board both on the machine and Matt. Now for the long wait and preparations. I still need to get Matt to add a few options before the mill is finally shipped to me. This leads to a few questions:

1. I was thinking of going with the PM-45PDF for the longest time before deciding to go with the 935. Did anyone look at or go with the 935 z axis power feed? Also, I noted a "Power Feed on Quill, 3 Steps". What exactly is that compared to the z axis power feed?

2. A mobile base is a must for me. I plan on using Mason MLS-1000 levelers and Albion 2" casters (purchased a month ago). Both are rated at 1000lbs. I am now designing the base and curious how close the mill base mounting holes are to the edges? I am planning to use angle iron to support the mill and need to figure out how wide it needs to be in order to make use of the mounting bolts. I am assuming the casting is hollow on the bottom and only needs edge support. Correct assumption?

3. Lifting?? My original plan was to use a 2 ton HF engine lift. The mobile base will pretty much rule this out due to clearance issues with the legs. It looks like it will be off to the rental yard across the bay that has gantry cranes with 3000lbs ratings. It seems like this may be my only option. What have others done?

Answers:

1) Power Z feed is a convenient way to raise and lower the head. With power quill feed, once you position the head where you want it, the spindle has a mechanism which can do automatic drilling. The head stays put but the spindle will auto-drill a hole for you. The three "steps" refers to three different quill rates measured in mm/revolution.

2) Sorry, don't know how close the holes are to the edges but, most equipment I know of, it's within 2-3 inches. The bases are hollow but the bottom rims are usually 2-3" thick and the sidewalls are 3/4 to 1" thick. I suggest you make a base that is yet a few inches wider (in all directions) than the base. Big mills like this have been known to tip over if they're not bolted down and when people put 500-600 lbs on the table. That would be really ugly.

3) A gantry is the safest way. I built my own. Shop cranes make me nervous... -and I am normally not in the least bit a "nervous" kind of person.

Ray

1. I was thinking of going with the PM-45PDF for the longest time before deciding to go with the 935. Did anyone look at or go with the 935 z axis power feed?

1. I'll probably buy or make a "Crank Yanker" at some point. It takes a lot of turns of the handle to get from top to bottom, but how often do you need that?
2. Do the photos below help? There was an article in Machinists Workshop Oct/Nov '13 about skates where the author used angle iron and bearings to allow movement of his lathe. Maybe a mobile base is overkill? I'm not sure I want to bolt mine, but I was thinking of making outriggers of some sort to compensate for the narrow base in the event of less than devastating earthquakes.
3. I used my 2T HF crane to put my 935 in position. I spun the head 180* and used the lifting ring to get it in place with help from my neighbor. It doesn't require much ceiling height because as shipped the head is upside down. But, I was apprehensive until it was in place. Ray obviously has experience moving heavy machines. If things go bad, get out of the way. Fast. But if you can rent something more substantial, so much the better. I found it scariest to get it off the pallet. Once it's on the floor, you can lift it just enough to move it, and that was far less disconcerting. There are some photos in my flickr album if you want.

Are you sure you want the TV? I got the TS and a VFD which seems much more simple and reliable. The VFD was only 2x the price of the 1phase motor upgrade, so it seemed a no-brainer. Just a thought.

-Ryan

2014_02_22_3517.JPG2014_02_22_3518.JPG2014_02_22_3526.JPG

2014_02_22_3517.JPG 2014_02_22_3518.JPG 2014_02_22_3526.JPG

Last edited:
That's a nice mill, congrats! If the PM-935 was available when I purchased my PM45 I think I would have made the same choice. Ever since I saw the similar mill by Modern years ago I really wanted one but thought it would never be possible. But now Matt has made that possible more affordable. I don't regret getting my PM45 though, I'll be happy for a while

Answers:

1) Power Z feed is a convenient way to raise and lower the head. With power quill feed, once you position the head where you want it, the spindle has a mechanism which can do automatic drilling. The head stays put but the spindle will auto-drill a hole for you. The three "steps" refers to three different quill rates measured in mm/revolution.

2) Sorry, don't know how close the holes are to the edges but, most equipment I know of, it's within 2-3 inches. The bases are hollow but the bottom rims are usually 2-3" thick and the sidewalls are 3/4 to 1" thick. I suggest you make a base that is yet a few inches wider (in all directions) than the base. Big mills like this have been known to tip over if they're not bolted down and when people put 500-600 lbs on the table. That would be really ugly.

3) A gantry is the safest way. I built my own. Shop cranes make me nervous... -and I am normally not in the least bit a "nervous" kind of person.

Ray

Thanks for the reply Ray

I have been going over BP mobile base designs that others have done. Adding Stability pretty much kills using the shop crane idea. I see you are from MD. I'm a Terp gone west.

Thanks,
-Joe

Thanks for the reply Ray

I have been going over BP mobile base designs that others have done. Adding Stability pretty much kills using the shop crane idea. I see you are from MD. I'm a Terp gone west.

Thanks,
-Joe

Moving heavy stuff is not fun unless you're set up to do it. Good luck and be safe...

I'm a 16 year transplant from Chicago. Settled-in here but still looking for a place to call home.

Ray

1. I'll probably buy or make a "Crank Yanker" at some point. It takes a lot of turns of the handle to get from top to bottom, but how often do you need that?
2. Do the photos below help? There was an article in Machinists Workshop Oct/Nov '13 about skates where the author used angle iron and bearings to allow movement of his lathe. Maybe a mobile base is overkill? I'm not sure I want to bolt mine, but I was thinking of making outriggers of some sort to compensate for the narrow base in the event of less than devastating earthquakes.
3. I used my 2T HF crane to put my 935 in position. I spun the head 180* and used the lifting ring to get it in place with help from my neighbor. It doesn't require much ceiling height because as shipped the head is upside down. But, I was apprehensive until it was in place. Ray obviously has experience moving heavy machines. If things go bad, get out of the way. Fast. But if you can rent something more substantial, so much the better. I found it scariest to get it off the pallet. Once it's on the floor, you can lift it just enough to move it, and that was far less disconcerting. There are some photos in my flickr album if you want.

Are you sure you want the TV? I got the TS and a VFD which seems much more simple and reliable. The VFD was only 2x the price of the 1phase motor upgrade, so it seemed a no-brainer. Just a thought.

-Ryan

View attachment 70813View attachment 70814View attachment 70815

Thanks for the feedback and pictures Ryan
I noted you spun the head 180 degrees to lift and saw this in a Grizzly manual for a similar mill. Why don't people lift the mill with the head in the shipping position? Balance?

I am considering an outrigger design for the base. Your photos were very helpful for this. This design pretty much rules out the HF crane.

Yeah.. I went back and forth on the TS versus TV with time running out on the next shipment from Taiwan. For better or worst, I went with the TV.
Thanks,
-Joe

Joe,

The manual shows two lifting straps under the ram in front and behind the column, but I think Matt indicated using the ring was fine. I only had one strap, so I used the ring. But I'd probably invest in two short straps and move it like indicated if I had to do it again.

When I tried to lift it off the pallet, I realized it was forward biased by a great deal, and you can't move the head back very far because the motor hits the column. So I kept the hook on the ring, ran the table toward the right side (just to counter the head going left while not bolted to the pallet) and swung the head 180*. It's still biased toward the front, but not as bad and it's far easier to get the lift in there and use a shorter chain. But be advised, my floor is pretty smooth and the casters on the crane did not pivot or roll well at all. Luckily I had help and things went smoothly and safely. If you don't already own a HF crane, you might want to rent something instead.

Try to get the delivery guy to put it as close to its final spot as you can. I was most worried about a lip at the entry of the garage, but he got the pallet jack over it w/o much trouble. I should have asked him to turn it 90* so I was simply backing it into its spot, but I was so relieved it was in the garage that I forgot. You've got plenty of time, so give it some thought. And keep some cash on hand as incentive/thank you if he goes above and beyond because he had every right to drop the crate in the street at the curb and blow outta there once the paper was signed. Ask for a smaller truck if you have any issues.

The final spot:
12711517555_d7f8f03569_b.jpg

And not that anyone cares, but I'm from Wisconsin. No offense, Ray.
-Ryan

12711517555_d7f8f03569_b.jpg

Joe,

The manual shows two lifting straps under the ram in front and behind the column, but I think Matt indicated using the ring was fine. I only had one strap, so I used the ring. But I'd probably invest in two short straps and move it like indicated if I had to do it again.

When I tried to lift it off the pallet, I realized it was forward biased by a great deal, and you can't move the head back very far because the motor hits the column. So I kept the hook on the ring, ran the table toward the right side (just to counter the head going left while not bolted to the pallet) and swung the head 180*. It's still biased toward the front, but not as bad and it's far easier to get the lift in there and use a shorter chain. But be advised, my floor is pretty smooth and the casters on the crane did not pivot or roll well at all. Luckily I had help and things went smoothly and safely. If you don't already own a HF crane, you might want to rent something instead.

Try to get the delivery guy to put it as close to its final spot as you can. I was most worried about a lip at the entry of the garage, but he got the pallet jack over it w/o much trouble. I should have asked him to turn it 90* so I was simply backing it into its spot, but I was so relieved it was in the garage that I forgot. You've got plenty of time, so give it some thought. And keep some cash on hand as incentive/thank you if he goes above and beyond because he had every right to drop the crate in the street at the curb and blow outta there once the paper was signed. Ask for a smaller truck if you have any issues.

The final spot:
View attachment 70882

And not that anyone cares, but I'm from Wisconsin. No offense, Ray.
-Ryan

Ryan,
I was worried about the forward bias part. My drop off (hopefully) will be in my side driveway. Our neighborhood has a no garage door in front of the house policy. It is flat but pebbled. This pretty much rules out rolling any crane around. I do have a HF 2T crane but the gantry seems to be the way to go. One guy in the bay area seems to rent them and I have a pickup truck. Hopefully, I can get enough time to get the mobile base together in time.

Thanks,
-Joe

Back