Ordered First Mill

grepper

Registered
Registered
First, thanks everybody for all the help and advice!

So, I ended up ordering a Sieg X2D from LMS. I might have gone for one of their HT models, but what I wanted was out of stock for a month or more. It’s probably for the best as it controlled me getting too cart happy.

Why choose X2D from LMS? It’s my first mill and should be ok to start with; it should do the small projects I require of, it fits my size and weight requirements and didn’t overly stress my budget. I almost went with the HF mini which would have been about $150 less expensive, but it would have taken a month to get it as they make them to order and ship them from China.

Also, the HF mini does not have the air spring and lacks a solid column and I did not want a tilty column. It also has a smaller table and less x/y/z travel than the Sieg. Also, if there was a problem, I’d be stuck dealing with HF on a special order thing shipped from China that I could not take back to a local store. I could see that turning into a frustrating, disappointing, hair pulling freak show.

With the LMS Sieg, I didn’t have to buy the air spring ($50 with shipping), plus it’s from the good folks at LMS. I’ve been nothing but impressed with LMS. Great place and good people! It is on sale for $600.

Shipping is $145 because I live near a freight terminal and can pick it up there. Saved $50 off their normal shipping. Considering I didn’t have to buy the air spring, that makes it about $100 more than HF, for a machine with better specs. Anyway, $100 is worth it to me for just the peace of mind of getting from LMS rather than a crate dumped on my front porch direct from China with no support.

I know, very good advice was given to get more to start with. I totally, completely, understand that sage advice. It is the same advice I would give, and almost always live by when it comes to tools. So, will I want more mill? Probably. Will I need the belt drive upgrade? Yes. Do I already want DRO’s for both my mill and lathe? Yes. But I think this is a good place to start, should keep me busy for awhile, and be a good introduction and first mill.

Here is what I ordered:

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4962&category=1387807683

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4491&category=

Again, thanks everybody for all the help with my endless noob questions! After a week of research and learning I think I finally have a grip. Your help was/is truly appreciated. :)

Congats on the new mill. Very good choice given the requirements you set out. When you get it do go over everything, cleaning, lubing, adjusting and tightening. You will enjoy that mill.

Roy

Thanks. I realize I'm sort of bottom feeding in the mill world, so I hope it pans out. I imagine one of the first things I'll take on is the well known runout issue in the Z axis adjustment screw. From what's I've been able to see online, it looks like the same issue as the slide screws on a mini lathe.

Grepper don't even mention bottom feeder stuff. This will be way better than a file and hacksaw, and one has to start somewhere with the means they have. I have been using my very good JET made in Japan drill press for milling for the last 7 years and all is still good.

Good luck and enjoy.

David

The additional tool package looks like it should get you into chips pretty quickly. Id' say you got a good machine at a reasonable price. If you're patient you can do almost anything (that will fit on the table) that you want to.

We all start somewhere...
Better to start than wish... :)

After a few years.... you will upgrade, and probably keep the first one for specific tasks.

Making chips is the goal... does not matter on what we make the chips... <grin>

grepper,
Congratulations on the new tool!
You will find many great projects to do with it.
-brino

I was seriously considering going your route but I opted for the Harbor freight mini mill. In the past 2 years I have taken apart 8 treadmills that I've gotten on craigslist for free. Tons of parts including DC motors (3 of which are 3 hp), control boards, air springs and so on.
Very true the X2 has more features but since this was my first mill I wanted to go as cheap as possible. I ordered last Friday and I received it today. Total cost was $572 with 20% off coupon.
I'm in Phoenix and it shipped from Ventura county. The mill is not the expensive part...it's the tooling and all the upgrades. I figured to go with the low cost version and if someday I want to upgrade I can move into something bigger.
Enjoy your new toy...

Dask

Cool you got your new toy so quickly! When I looked into it I was told, and it says on their web site that it takes about a month!

I like new toys! Only downside is they usually lead to needing more... Especially true with this stuff! :rolleyes:

I guess mine should arrive in about five days. But, at last, a lathe + a mill! I can finally make stuff! Now if only I could afford CNC... oh, well. It never ends...

Last edited:
Back