ORGANIZATION + GRINDER PEDISTAL

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I've been trying to organize my garage / machine shop. I really need to get my 120 gallon air compressor project moved outside under a cover (but that is for another time). What I do want to do, though is free up my work bench. 3 grinders & an arbor press need a new space. Please show what you have done for a grinder stand!

I made a stand on lockable wheels so it can be wheeled around easily and then lock the wheels when in use . The top i made with some slots in it for bolting and mounting tables etc to it and then mounted 2x 8 inch bench grinders on it 1 with stones the other with belt attachment and buffing wheel.20180112_143320.jpg20180112_173102.jpg20180112_173113.jpg20180112_173124.jpg

A number of folks around here use brake drum stands.
While this one is for my arbor press, when I get around to it I'll do the same for the grinder.
If you ask around a bit, you can usually get the drums for free since truck repair places want to get rid of them. While not as mobile as wheels, the round
base makes it possible to roll it around if it needs moving. Brake drum and stand weigh almost 175 lbs, so they tend
to stay put, even when pressing something.

BROCKWOOD- Is the belt sanding attachment a store bought piece
That came with the grinder motor or did you make that up yourself? If you made it I wouldnt mind hearing about how you went about doing so!

Ngoingback- If you wouldnt mind sharing, I'd be interested in seeing the belt sander you have in the corner!

I built a fancy stand for my arbor press. Here is the video.
As for pedestal stands I use brake drums or flywheels for the base and some sort of round stock (truck drive shafts) for the column.

All great ideas. I thank you all for sharing! I like Moper's top plate & locking casters. Nogingback's big truck brake drum for stability is a solid practical weight for stability. NCjeeper went all fancy & it turned out very nice. I'll be gathering material & starting a build before long!

Since the secondary topic went to belt sanders, I'll play.
Mine is a POS Enco 6 x 48 with improvements painted red. Not really knocking the product per se. It's just that mine did not survive shipping. Looked at it like a racecar: now that the weak links are destroyed, let's make it better. And it is better by far! I really like the portability of Moper's belt attachment - but my small version will resemble those used by crankshaft polishers. In other words, handheld.287705

Thank you. That's a pretty cool looking machine, Ive never seen one like that.

Brockwood thanks for posting but I believe I made a mistake and thought you posted the pictures that Mopar posted.... Sorry bout that.

Latinrascalrg Not sure if you meant my belt sander attachment but if it is the one you were enquiring about its an attachment i brought in Australia that ffits most 8 inch bench grinders .its 2 inch wide belt and the disc is 7 inch .it was about 120 AUD dollars when i purchased it a few years back .It has been a very handy tool on my collection

Back