Organizing Lathe Chuck Keys

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It seems that for a lathe there are certain tools that need to be ever present. Since different lathes are layed out differently & use their own version of various tools for every day use, I started paying attention to where the You Tubers (I call them Professors) placed their tools. This is not easy to spot, since they all tend to focus on the work at hand. So, I'm hoping we can all provide our solutions that meet our individual needs. Just provide the make & model of your lathe, a pic of your tool holder & a brief description. Hope you join in!

Mine is a Grizzly G0773 combo (not my finest decision). My holder has a space for each of my 3 & 4 jaw chuck keys, an Allen Wrench for adjusting stops, cross slide etc & 1 other T Handle. It is made of measured pieces of 1/2" electrical conduit, the top of which is sort of cam ground to keep all the handles horizontal.

20170704_212221617.jpg

I have a small shop and my Atlas 618 is tucked in one corner. This is my main go to work area, so most of the much used stuff is close at hand.
The various chuck keys, allen keys, and lathe wrench are all on the bottom row of the dark grey slated shelf in the upper left. That slanted shelf also contains various tail stock chuck, live centres, dead centres etc.
The QCTP tools are mid section on the small white shelf directly behind and above the middle of the lathe bed.

behind lathe.jpg

David

I keep a drawer full of lathe and drill chuck keys. On my drill press I keep the key attached by a magnet. On the lathe I use the most I do the same thing. If I swap out the chuck then I swap out the key too.

key drawer.jpg dp key1.jpg

dp key2.jpg

lathe key1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a wall mounted shelf behind my lathe for all the lathe tools. It's a small lathe (Myford ML7, 7 x 20) so is narrow enough that reaching over it is not a problem. One shelf has holes for the MT2 tail stock tools (drill chuck, live center, etc) and the chuck key.

IMG_4391.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

I love threads like this, exhibitions of organizational skills that I envy.
You want to know where my drill chuck keys are? So do I.
Has anyone seen my 5/32" T-handle allen?

I generally keep all my lathe tools on the windowsill above the lathe. But the one thing I need is never there.

My 5/32 from my dedicated (not to be used elsewhere, ever) lathe t-handle set is missing because last week I had to rob it to work on the truck.
I had to rob it because the 5/32 from my garage set was missing.
The 5/32 was missing from the garage set since I fixed the lawnmower last year.
And both of them are probably hiding out in the trunk of my wife's car along with my tailstock wrench and those inserts that I am 100% sure I bought.

And here is the eye level storage for tools needed when chambering AR15 barrels, the cut down T handles are wrenches for the spider chucks. All are resting on magnetic rail from HF.

20170706_110526.jpg

Back