O'ring size chart versus hole size

Without the advantage of actually seeing what you are trying to do, is it possible to just drill and tap for a pipe fitting? I have used RTV to seal joints before but they have had strong mechanical joints. RTV doesn't like large gaps. It will flow under pressure.

I will post some pictures later when I get back home.

The perimeter wasn't cut with the lathe. I mounted it on my horizontal mill and cut the inside to make it round. But after some dirty brazing clean up with a rotary tool, it's very ugly. So I will have to use RTV on it, just hopefully less when I put in an oring along with that. With less RTV, I hope I can pry it open again if I need to do that.

I should add that RTV doesn't go well with oil. It softens and swells. Some formulations are better than others. I recently used one called Gear Oil Gasket Maker by Permatex for rebuilding a tractor transmission. No data on how it is holding up as yet though.

20190814_190637.jpg
This is my first attempt using this "top" adapter to bold down into the oil housing. It has no leak.
It looks ugly because I tried to remove it, one bung is not shown, already removed.

However, there is a leak around the circular perimeter (not shown above). So I made a rounded base below to seal with silicone gasket maker:

20190814_190708.jpg

The two metal tubes protrude pass the bottom, and I put two orings on it. Around the base, I put gasket maker (below it). This is then bolted onto
a similar circular metal piece with 5 holes tapped (not through, it's 1/2" thick).

Also, it looked ugly just because I tried to remove it. There was no leak between the tubes and the base. It leaked at the bungs and the tubes.

Last edited:
20190814_190809.jpg
Here's the aluminum housing. You can see the left and right was morphed due to brazing with flux heat.
The middle piece is a steel piece I cut and put in it to show what it would look like. Below that metal piece is
an aluminum piece of same size, already brazed into the housing (where there is a leak around the perimeter due to bad brazing).

I plan to weld two stainless tubes into those two holes. Protrude onto the other side a little with orings around them. I also will drill 5 holes to bolt it down.
Around that black steel piece, I will cut around the perimeter to slide a large oring into it.
I will have to use gasket maker to help sealing it.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I have this wrong. Are you wanting to remotely mount an oil filter? I have done this usually because the stock location is a P.I.T.A. and occasionally to route to a bypass auxiliary filter such as a toilet paper can.
If coming off the original filter mount a simple disk of Aluminium about 1 1/2 - 2",(40-50 mm),thick is all that is needed. Have a good look at the mounting face of an oil filter and mimic it. Drill and tap,(bore a hole and cut a thread to match the screwed in hollow stud in the block), a center hole. Cut a rebate between the center boss that the mounting stud is in and the outer perimeter,(a recessed area that mimics the area on the face of an oil filter that is the oil inlet, the area with holes spaced around the center),and rebate a groove for an O-ring outside of that where the OEM oil filter has one.
That takes care of the interface with the engine block.
On the fresh face facing the world now you need to tap an oil return in the center and an oil outlet that taps into the recessed area between the center stud and the outer O-ring. Use off the shelf fittings from a hydraulic supply shop,(hose doctor),run hoses to where ever you want to mount your filter. Remoter filter mounts are off the shelf items from filter manufacturers/retailers. If you have problems finding one and don't want to make one any good ships chandlers will have them in stock.
Have a look at the chart below. If you have access to a lathe this is a very easy job and needs no welding.
There is an old engineering adage K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid and don't try and re-invent the wheel.
Using off the shelf parts wherever possible is something to keep in mind at all times. I hope this helps.
Sorry the chart is too big to upload but here is a link to where you can find the information you need:
A verynear and a set of thread gauges,(Imperial and metrickery), are all you need to get started.

Yes, this is a remote filter adapter for connecting hoses. I already have everything up and running. But I redesign this because currently there are some issues I don't like and not wanting to get into here.

Here is a picture of what the above filter housing bolt into:
s-l400.jpg

You can see it is a bit complicated.

Here is tue picture of oem oil filter housing bolted on top of it. This housing also has a fuel filter housing attached to it:

images.jpeg

The small one is fuel filter. I cut out most of the larger one, leave an inch at the bottom and welded a round aluminum piece with two holes welded tubes and bungs and the story continued above ...

If I just saw off the fuel filter housing, and made the remote adapter from scratch (thick aluminum piece as you said), it would have been much cheaper and done. But doing this, I keep the fuel filter, and thought it wouldn't cause issue.

Well, I will see. I may go your route, or go with all steel or stainless. But for now, I think I am far enough that I will try to finish it this way.

I should add that RTV doesn't go well with oil. It softens and swells. Some formulations are better than others. I recently used one called Gear Oil Gasket Maker by Permatex for rebuilding a tractor transmission. No data on how it is holding up as yet though.
I used Permatex grey rtv. It looks like the Permatex ultra black rtv can handle oil and high temp

I found this article very helpful. One of the oring I plan happens to have the same cross section as of the diagram:

It looks like higher squeeze, the longer it lasts in term of keeping the elastic force. However, it may suffer pinching issue.
I am still a bit confused by this, if 25% squeeze, then it only lasts for 300 hours, which is 12.5 days. That's very low.

Back