OT But Need Help ( Maybe)

chip maker

Registered
Registered
I have a Craftsman LTX1000 Lawn Tractor and for the last year or so have noticed that when it is sitting in the shed on concret floor it has a lean to the left. It is not the deck and also with the snow blower it is for sure the tractor itself. I googled the problem on line and found a couple sites that people had the same issue but they never ended with a fix or correction for the problem. This tractor uses a cast iron front axle with a center pivot. I know that I can level the deck and I do that every time I reinstall the deck after the snow blower is removed but that doesn't really fix the main problem. So I am wondering if anyone here my have had this problem and how they fixed it. I guess I am just looking for something to do as I'm waiting for better weather to get here and fixing up the equipment for summer. Hope you can help.!!! Thanks

Is the concrete level ? Did you check the air pressure in your tires ? I work on tractors everyday and see the same with a certain lean to one side or the other . Older Cubs have solid axles and most definitely lean to a certain side . You can actually see where the wheels are on different angles and also on how the tires wear prematurely . :dunno:

Tractors with a central pivot on the front axle are essentially a 3 point suspension. Any tilting of the chassis has to come from the rear axle. My Ford 8N has a one piece rear axle housing so if it leaned the problem would be with the rear wheels themselves. Different sized tires or different inflation pressures.
Lawn tractors, riding mowers, etc. have a different setup for the rear axle and the problem could also be due to a bent axle and/or frame. An unequal distribution of weight can also create a tilt, especially with underinflated tires.

Yes the concrete is level and I have checked the tire pressures that was my first thought also but doesn't seem to be the problem. The rear transmission with axles and all are one whole unit mounted to the frame as one piece. Tractor still performs as it should so there isn't a bent axle in the rear. Between summer and winter I have two sets of rear tires the ones for winter have the chains always mounted so all I do is change out the tires so as not to have to deal with installing the chains. I have noticed that the tilt is also there with the blower mounted as well. As for a weight differance the tractor has nothing else mounted on it to make it lean to one side.

Hi Again, Sorry I didn't get right back to either of you but had to work the last three days and do 12 hour days so no time. Anyway today it was nice out so got another look at the tilt problem and have some better answers. I removed the front hood and did some checking on the height. It is for sure leaning to the left looking at the tractor from the front. Found out it has a tilt almost better than 1/2 in of differance from left to right reading right off the front frame at same point on both sides. The thing uses a cast iron one piece axle with a center mounting, I can't seem to figure out any reason for this tilting unless some is going on with the front end . I also seen that the left side frame is closer to the axle than the right. Could it be that when this thing got assembled it got put together twested and if so how would one go about resetting everything? Would I need to just start unbolting things till the thing gets level ?

I just read about your problem-----a few simple things I would do first --rotate the tires from one side to the other side and see if it helps--if not then use a bottle jack exactly under center of front axle pivot and as you jack it up see if one side lifts quicker than the other side---if so something isn't balanced even---if both lift evenly then move your bottle jack to the hitch bracket on rear of tractor and see if one side lifts much easier than the other----if not then I would use shims to correct lean ----Dave

When I jack the front end up in the center the axle is free to move up and down on either side of equal value because of the center pivot. When I return it back to the ground than it will still lean left. I will do the rear tomorrow and see if it straightens out the front tilt if jacked in center by hitch bracket. If that straightens out the front tilt would that mean I would shim the transmission on the rear frame to shift to other side? As I'm writing this I think I anserered my own question. Now looking at the tractor from the front if I need to go down on right I would need to shim left rear correct? I other thing is how much would I need to equal out a 1/2 in lean?

try putting a 3/4" board under the one rear tire and see if it is about right--that will give you a good idea of what shim thickness will be close---Dave

I don't see where a 1/2 inch lean will make a difference. The deck can be leveled. If you measure frame to slab in front & get 1/2 inch difference do you have the same 1/2 inch at rear ?? If it's level in rear the frame is bent, If it's 1/2 off in back it was built that way. If you shim it you may put the drive belt out of alignment. if it runs well it ain't broke don't fix it

OK Just wanted to let you all know how this worked out. As Dave suggested I did the wood under the rear tire trick and for sure got the front end to straighten out. To get the front straight it took a flat 2x4 under the left rear tire!!!! Needless to say I am going with fixit and just letting this go as is. There is no way I am about to change the differental height that much on one side to straighten the front end. I am Thankfull for all the help and and getting me on the right track. Also as fixit said 1/2 in lean can be handled by the deck adjustment any way. Just thought that I could make the darn thing right without alot of jerry rigging. Thanks again guys.

Back