OT Computor Printer Issue

Updates work.

Just built one and many updates.

We have folks local who resell enterprise grade stuff from banks and other business and good deals.

Dell i5 all but HD for 60 bucks.

Plenty show up at estate and yard sales, i7 for 5 bucks...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back to the problem, So this machine is only 6 years old so don't think a new one is in order yet. I tried reloading the soft ware from the disc failed. Went to the HP printer site they sent be back to using the Windows built in software this is what I first used when I set up the computor, plugged in USB was happy that Windows found new hardware but tried to installed and Error came up again for Local Print Spooler not running. Also tried my Canon printer and this one done the same Error for Print Spooler. So now I'm back to 0 again. As I said before I did try a few restores from othe dates but didn't fix the problem. Should I try a fee others? I do have the install disc for windows so I guess I could go thru the trouble of a reload of everything. I guess I just can't figure out why a restore to a good point didn't repair the problem. I do have good anti virus do updates as needed and also have password manager software installed and up to date. Anything else to try would be helpful. Thanks

Did you say if it's wifi, wired lan, or USB connections to the printers?
Is there a router in the mix? has it been reset?

-brino

First, six years is a good lifetime for your hardware, if you don’t want to “go through the trouble of a complete reload” then your options are really limited.

You may be able to fix your print spool issues but will that involve more effort than said reload?

Unless you have expensive hardware or software that only runs on Win 7 you should upgrade to win 10. Not even going into why.

Finally, no. Don’t pay anyone on the internet to “fix” your computer. If you’re too stubborn to take my advice then go to a local repair shop and pay them.

John

There could be a problem with bad sectors on your hard disk drive. I have seen some weird computer problems surface because of failing hard disks. Try some disk repair operations. Try doing a mirror image of the drive using some software like Acronis. Just some suggestions based on my own experiences.

...one more thing......

I have had decent results using windows built-in System File Check "sfc".
It can sometimes find corrupt system software components and repair/replace them......

Here's a link:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

That is definitely worth a shot.

-brino
Good idea recommending SFC, didn't think of that at 3am.
I've encountered the print spooler problem several times over the years and it always seems to be something different.
If nothing else is acting up on the system this is fixable.
My daily driver is still win7 also. I've got win10 installed on (2) laptops and (2) towers, the two towers are identical hardware yet win10 does not behave the same on both. Updates are different and the Build Numbers are different.
Micro$oft can't get their act together at all in regards to updates. Most blatant of all is when you really need to use your system and it decides it needs to update instead, and you're left sitting there with hat in hand.
My Son is Sys-Admin'ing over (400) seats and I'm not at all sure how he is keeping his sanity.
And then there is the 'phoning home' aspect. One has to tweak the hell out of the system to keep M$ out of your shorts.
In 30+ years of dinking around with M$ products I've never seen an OS release behave so erratically. But then I didn't touch win8... :big grin:

-=-=-
Ease up on the 'system restores' - me personally I've had mixed results with that fine feature.
Do the SFC check on the system and let's go from there.
After that it's time to run chkdsk (check disk) per @Forty Niner's recommendation.

We just googled it and there are quite a few options.

The answers.microsoft responses are good.

Many involve running software to setting properties to registry edits.

Start there and take your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OK everyone here goes, As I am fair with computors but not great at handling these kind of problems I called in a good friend who is really good at this stuff he did all the file checking etc. etc. nothing showed up bad. He was here for an hour or so but no luck with a fix.
I googled for a fix and ran across a few items that said to reload windows but use the Upgrade rather than full install. When using Upgrade all your files and programs will stay but may have some issues. At this point and a day or more into this issue I figured what do I got to loose.
Reinstalled under the upgrade and bingo had to reinstall printers but both worked out fine. All my files were in tact but did have issues with two programs not finding a dll files in windows. Another Google search and got that handled than had to reload two programs but still didn't loose any of the files related to these programs. So as of right now things are back up and running.
I wish to Thank all that replied to this post and giving me some iteas as to were to go and fix this. I have more than a day getting this fixed but still have all my files and still have Windows 7 Pro working. THANKS AGAIN

Last edited:
Back