OT How to Weatherproof Disconnected Electrical Components.

Temporary bypass is complete. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It took less than 15 minutes to fill the plugs and sockets with dielectric grease, tape them off with silicone tape, and wire tie them out of the way. I think it took more time to run to Home Depot (only 3 miles away) to get the tape than it did to complete the job.

Since the job was so cheap and easy to complete that probably means I'll be getting a call on Monday telling me how lucky I am that they were able to find the last motor in existence. This whole episode somewhat erodes my faith in all the fancy electronics associated with today's cars. I've already had to permanently unplug the sensor that's supposed to activate the foot controlled opening of the tailgate. I finally had enough after getting hit in the head over a dozen times when it closed with me still unloading cargo, and opening in my face several times when hooking up the trailer.

Next on the list is to get a work around for the "auto off" where the engine shuts off after a few seconds of sitting at a stop sign or light. It doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between when it's -30* and you need heat, a 90+* summer day when you need cooling, and a nice 70* day when it wouldn't matter whether or not the engine is running. I see a plug and play bypass unit made 4D Tech that just remembers the last position you selected and returns to that position the next time the engine is started.

It's a bit disappointing that Ford chose to make "auto off" the default and only permanently selectable mode for the system on this model. It can be disabled, but it has to be done manually by pushing a switch every time the ignition is cycled. My wife's car has the same system, but you can select whether or not you want to use it. It's aggravating when you have make 20 stops to run errands, and each time you restart the car you have to over ride the "auto off" system.

Do the people that design these wonders actually drive them? I sometimes wonder
-M

Back