OT Oddball and interesting things you did not know existed before that estate sale

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We all have been there, stop by an estate sale or yard sale and stumble upon something interesting that you had no idea they existed.

Let this be a place to share as sometimes we may like those interesting things we did not know existed and suddenly wasn't one.

Last year at a sale in nearby mountain area there was a fellow that was into old radios and electronics, most of what was left was in poor shape but we found a fair amount of odd things outside.

Inside the home had typical inside house things but we saw on a book shelf what looks like a fan.

It is mounted in a large extruded aluminum.

Real odd looking thing, marked $50.00 but it was the last day and we got "pile price" so likely was $1.00...it just looked to interesting to leave there and we had no clue what it was but had a thought it may react to heat.

Name on top is Eco-fan, it has some wires connected to the motor on one end and different color metal on bottom.

Likely a thermo-couple generator, set it on the wood stove and it takes off.

Our stove is a box in a box meaning the inner box is the stove and it is contained in a larger one that causes convection air flow, heats the room well and the top never gets "hurts you if you touch it" heat but still hot enough to run the fan if we turn it up a little.

They are called " wood stove fans"...never knew they existed but many copies on Amazon.

It does add air circulation and interesting thing we did not know existed...
0af94bdb6864fa2d44c9d7db76a73928.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ecofan or a copy. I've had one for long enough that the bearings got sluggish. Just bought a replacement motor. They don't appear to move much air, but our kitchen was noticeably colder when it was out of commission.

Yard sales and estate sales are great places to find oddball obsolete stuff. Since moving here I have found more oddball stuff I ever remember finding in the valley. I used to go through the barns and storage areas of the places I used to work as those would often never get sold or end up trashed and always find crazy stuff. I found out that all the old packing houses had these heavy duty aluminum ramps that became obsolete when small electric forklifts became more prevalent. I ended up scoring a 6’ and 10’ for free because nobody wanted them. I have put over 1,000lbs on them no problem. I use them for my trailer. My last score was a Manley screw press made sometime between 1911 and 1920. I guess it was the transition between the blacksmith fly press and the hydraulic press that came along in the ‘20’s. Never seen or heard of one before.

Attachments

• A765A725-3FBA-4DE8-9E1A-CBBD16E8769F.jpeg
    A765A725-3FBA-4DE8-9E1A-CBBD16E8769F.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 15
  • F46558E1-F211-4E9A-8479-29A44F8A7CA9.jpeg
    F46558E1-F211-4E9A-8479-29A44F8A7CA9.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 15
Back