OT Pets in the shop w/pics

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Hi Guys
Don,t laugh to hard, but how do you deal with your pets in the home shop? My dog follows me everywhere, and at 9 months old, when I go into the shop to work, he is right there, with in 2 feet of me. The problem Im having is if I leave him in the house, he gets ****** that Im not letting him in the shop, and barking starts.

Now I have tried to get this guy to wear safety glasses, dont laugh too hard now,lol. He just isnt liking having these things on. My old dog was much the same, went everywhere I did, but that one would wear his safety glasses, and a skull cap!
I taught him to wear these at 3 yrs old. So, you can teach a old dog new tricks, but cant teach a new dog a new trick.

Seems every dog Ive had, has a thing for watching the chuck spin. They will sit there for hrs on end, just mesmerized doing this. Hell, the cats even do this, they just hop up on top of any tool box, and watch from there. Atleast they stay out of my way. I dont want to tie the dog up at end of the shop, Ive tried. He will chew right threw the rope, or leash, and I will find him standing next to me, looking at me, like hey dad, it only took ten mins to get out of that one.

The previous dog , when tied up in the shop allways felt he had a job to do. He would let you enter, but god help you, if you tried to leave. Thats why I got him to wear his glasses & skullcap around the shop and stopped tying him up. Just for amusement, here are a few pics of the old dog,a Pit Bull in the shop, and the new dog, he is a mix of Boxer and Masstif.

Any suggestions, ok stop laughing lol

king01.jpg

king02.jpg

king03.jpg
Thats the Pit bull

allrelaxed03.jpg
This is Norton, the 9 month old.

Paul

Paul

Charlie is the official greeter here at my shop.

He has the run of both the shop and the house and depending on his mood, will be either right under the workbench while I am working, or sitting on the landing watching out for what I am doing when I am at my desk. Sometimes he hops up onto the desk and lays right down on top of anything that I am working on.

What is worse is that he is a jealous master and whenever I am in a conversation with another person, he insists on being at head level. He will wimper and whine until he gets picked up and can be part of the conversation.

Here he is with my son Jason, and the other is my typical view of him, right under foot.

Walter

IMG_1707s.jpg

Last edited:
I have a shop cat, Buddy, that was raised in my shop and would lie on my work table while I worked right next to him. Noise just didn't bother him at all.
[attachimg=1]
He was the only kitten in the litter. I don't guess you could really call it a litter if he was the only one in the litter, could you?
Anyhow, I had a mouse problem with the mice chewing the cork handles off of my casting rods. He has eliminated that problem.

Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
PDR_0579Medium.jpg

This one would be eating metal chips if I let him in the shop with me, but he's my best buddy! If I'm in the shop, he'll lay quietly as close to the basement door as he can get--for hours if necessary! Don't feel too sorry for him, he gets lots of love and attention--also two (minimum) walks every day. A five miler every morning, and a shorter (1-3 miler) every afternoon after lunch.

You couldn't find a better friend if you tried!

Bob

We have two cats, which are really my daughters- two long maine coons. One of them likes to be there while I'm working to watch, wherever that is.

I keep the cats out of the shop. The first thing they do is to look for a missed pile of sawdust, and pee in it. The second thing they do is demand that I open either the outside or the inside door. Their work is done.

Here is my previous helper Adolph. 115lbs of Rott. Most loving dog you could find except for the one my wife has now, Layla, she is 110lbs of goofy lazy Bull Mastiff.

Hi Guys,
I like all your pets, i had a pet cat who always was with me in my workshop, Sadly Monday last i had to have him put to sleep, due to a severe illness, which struck him down in a space of about two months, He was 16 years old,and a nice companion & he is sadly missed
I gave him a mention also over on Home Shop

Dan.

Dan

Sorry to hear about your loss.

A few years ago, we had to put down our Geman Shorthaired Pointer, Daisy as she was having reoccurring Bladder problems in her elder years. I told the GF at that time, that we were not going to have any more dogs, and once our Persian, sparky went, no more cats. Within two weeks, she came home with two little puppies that the local SPCA, "really needed a foster home for"

One of those was Charlie who is still with us today, the other, Mista was adopted out to a nice family in the Okanagan.

Pets are like family members and it is hard to let them go, but when you get a new one, it will give you all the love and quickly become the apple of your eye.

Walter

Back