OT: Power problem in my house

The wiring isn't being overloaded at all, it was just the neutral wasn't connected. I don't know what specifically fixed the problem, but from my earlier testing, I think it was most likely either the meter itself or the wiring at the meter. The neutral wire, where the connection between the line to the pole and the line going to the power meter was, didn't have any current, but was right at 120V, which to me indicates that it was at least minimally connected to the transformer on the pole.

I'm not sure about the meter base, but the meter itself was replaced maybe 10 years ago or so, from the old style spinning disc style to a new electronic meter that they can read remotely.

And the connectors themselves, at least the ones connecting the pole lines to the house lines, looked fine, it was just the insulator around the connector that was disintegrating.

However, the insurance company wants the power line upgrade to 100A service, or at least is charging more because we have 60A service, because fewer homes in the area have 60A, and the ones that do are all older homes, so they are higher risk... Just as well, as the visible insulation on the wires going between the power meter and the pole lines, also looks pretty deteriorated from being exposed to the elements.

Not too long ago I won a battle with my co-op. My drop was, imo, way too long. At one of my previous residences, on another power company grid, they told me they would not run over 100 feet from the transformer to the meter. Here, mine was closer to 300 feet. I would say probably more because of the wire sizing and connections, my lights would "pulse" in time with the washing machine when it was agitating. for example. I could measure (with an logging meter) dips into the low 90 volt range on the 125 circuits, and about 190 when the A/C was running on its dedicated 240 volt circuit. It took 6 months of arguing about it, but they eventually came out and set a new pole on my property and dropped new service about 60 feet to the house. I finally had to threaten to sue for damages to all my electrical stuff because of poor service and voltage sag (brownouts). Eventually I talked directly with the head of the engineering dept and he agreed that the drop was too long as it was. The last pole with my pig on it was across the road from my house, which is set back a good bit. It also was servicing another home most of the time, although the people seemed to come and go so the place was empty quite a bit. The transformer was old, and probably small for its application. When I bought the place, I gutted it and finished it properly. At that point the thing was to put in 200A service (it had 100A), and I tried to tell the PoCo that I needed better service then, but they wouldn't listen or let me near the engineers. It only took 22 years of tolerating poor service to get it fixed. I am solo on this transformer (larger), and a short drop. They did in the end satisfy me.

Shouldn't take (22) years. Seems like more and more Utility Companies customer service is lacking.
When we moved in here, there was a line running off the pole right over our house & driveway to an old burned out dwelling up the hill.
First call resulted in nothing happening, then I went down to the office. Squeaky wheel time.
Fought for (6) months and they finally pulled 'em. Kept telling me it was no problem. I begged to disagree.
You never run lines where they could come down on a structure or onto a path of egress.
"But they are not connected at the pole" the Engineer said, to which I responded and asked, "if the pole comes down are you going to guarantee me that they will not become energized?" Pole is located on a tight curve in the road. Several near misses in the (5) years we've lived here.
I handed him a biz card of a lawyer friend of ours and requested that he send a letter to him stating that opinion.
It came down the next day.
They've been helpful ever since. When we went to re-roof this place I noticed that the connections at the weatherhead were bare.
They came out within a day and re-wrapped them.
I asked for a quote for 3-phase when I got the Mill, they came back @ $6000.00 -hehe.

Well, when I moved in out here and built my shop, they did not charge anything extra to run 3 phase from about 4 poles up the road and across the road to my own set of transformers. Couldn't argue about that. I just told them I knew it was on my road (dead end blacktop) where there is a part time oil pump unit, so they couldn't play dumb and tell me it was nowhere near me. I did know what I was looking at and they knew it.

Back