Ot: Troy-bilt Snow Blowers

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
So, last year I bought a Troy-Bilt Storm 2840 snow blower from Lowes.
The new ones no longer had Tacumseh US engines. They now have Powermore Chinese engines.
As you know, we had one major storm only here, 28", so I used it once.
I ran out all the gas, so it wouldn't gum things up.
I put some Stabil gas treatment in too.
I didn't drain the carburetor, because it didn't say ya had to.

This season, I pulled, nothing. It isn't the spark plug because I used the electric ignition with an extension cord, and still nothing.

I am reasonably sure it is a jam in the carb jet. I removed the carb bowl and float and they are immaculate.
Today, I will remove and spray the jet with carb cleaner and probe it to remove any jam.

There is a YouTube video that covers this, if you have the same problem:

Removing the carb is a PITA. Follow his instructions to do it without a hitch.

#1) I never ever run my blower out of gas. I add stabil and fill it. I run it for a few minutes to get the stabil thru the entire system and shut it down and put it away. It is left this way till the next year. Never had a problem.

#2 Second hand info from the repair shop --- Stabil is not to be used without gas, it will mess up the whole system. I can't vouch for that so ----

"Billy G"

I never had a problem when I used Sta-bil and DIDN'T run the system dry. BUT when I listened to the "experts" and ran the engine dry I started had issues restarting after a few months idle. Especially a problem with my generator that has a 10hp Tecumseh; found a green jello like substance in the carb bowl. Now I'm using Stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil, turn the engine off and call it a day. Knock wood, all my power equipment starts when needed.

Mike

The green jello is "Ethenol" jelled according to the repair shop I go to.

"Billy G"

I had a bottle of stabil, and had put some in last season. Some damn experts told me to run it dry at the end of the season. Now it's dead.

Since it's a nice day, I went out and took the carb apart and sprayed it with carb cleaner according to that video. I sprayed the jet and made sure it was clean. There was no gunk in it, yet the machine won't start. It isn't the plug. This is pretty irksome . I will reassemble it, put in a little gas. If she still won't start, I will bring it to Lowes. I bought a 4 year plan just in case.

Check for spark. If you have new fuel in the tank and spark it should run. As long as the fuel gets to the carb!

I use only premium fuel in any small engine, full synthetic lube oil in the crankcase. In the spring I run the carb dry and drain the tank. The drained fuel goes into the car. I do not bother with fuel stabilizer. Fresh fuel in the fall. I do the same with gas mower. The motorcycle is left ready to go year round.
Pierre

nels
i imagine that like most places you can no longer buy any gasoline without ethanol up there in new york .
so i have two tips that may help and both are rather simple .
the first one is what i try to do ... simply try to remember to start it up once a month or so and let it run long enough to get up to temp .
this helps to keep fresh gas in the carb to keep things like diaphragms (spelling ?) from drying out and getting gummed up .
and will also let you know when the gas starts going bad and needs changed .... the exhaust will smell terrible

the second is easier ... at the end of winter when you are done using it run all of the ethanol blended gas out of the tank and then buy one of the premixed quart bottles of two stroke fuel you see at walmart or the parts store and fill the tank with it for storage .

it is ethanol free and already has a stabilizer in it , and the two stroke oil wont hurt anything either

It isn't the spark plug because I used the electric ignition with an extension cord, and still nothing.

Unless things have drastically changed, your 120v hookup is only for the starter, not the ignition. Pull the plug, ground the threads to the head and crank it over to see if you have spark. I also only use premium fuel in my small engines. Mike

You can buy clear gasoline, hi octane, at distributors, google clear gasoline suppliers. currently about $4 a gallon, stuff is great, no conditioner needed unless you plan on saving your gas for months. As for conditioner, my experience with Stabil is its not worth anything and frequently causes trouble. All our small engines on the farm use clear with no conditioners and we buy fresh gas quarterly. If you are going to use conditioner Soltron or Star Brite are what I recommend, they have worked for me when I was in to marine engines.

cheers
michael

Small gas engine manufacturers advise against using ethanol gas for engines that aren't used regularly because the ethanol absorbs moisture from the air & contaminates it & gums the carburetor. Ask local auto parts dealers or small engine repair shops if there are gas stations that sell non-ethanol gas. That's all I use in our mowers, string trimmers, etc., plus I add Stabil in the fall & haven't had a problem yet. I also have a small back-up generator that originally ran on gasoline but I converted it to natural gas to avoid fuel contamination since it sets idle most of the time except for a few minutes each month per manufacturer's recommendations.

Last edited:
Back