OTMT milling machine on Craigslist - any good?

I would want to see this operate before I would consider a purchase. The handles should not be a problem to fix or replace, but if the quill is running rough or has too much run-out, then can become a project machine in a very short time.

The head is heavy. Make sure the Z axis handle and gears work well to move the head up and down.

Wow wish it was in Colorado. I would buy it to turn for profit or CNC it. We never set any thing like that around here.
CH

I would want to see this operate before I would consider a purchase. The handles should not be a problem to fix or replace, but if the quill is running rough or has too much run-out, then can become a project machine in a very short time.

The head is heavy. Make sure the Z axis handle and gears work well to move the head up and down.

How much run out is too much?

Would've been gone in 5 minutes around here..cause I would have picked it up

I think it's probably a good deal no matter what shape it's in

How much run out is too much?

A simple question but not a simple answer. It depends on the tolerance required for the items you are making. If the runout was X thou and you needed a tolerance of <X thou, you will not be able to make the desired tolerance.

To measure the spindle runout you would need to take a decent collet and end mill than use the shaft of the end mill with dial indicator or test indicator to get a good measurement. Measuring the outside of the spindle is going to have more apparent runout than items in a collet.

I do not know what runout would be expected from this machine when new.

I think you would want runout to be as low as possible, half a thou to a few thou.

Looks like a bench type mill. Similar to my old PM25. If it moves in both axis freely and not much backlash. It should be ok. Just another small bench mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent him a message already. Probably just a clean up and flip opportunity for me.

Back