Our Saw Cuts Crooked

G

gapi

Forum Guest
Register Today
We cannot figure it out. We put in a new blade and guide bearings and she still cuts crooked.
The pivot shaft and bores are fine.
Please educate me on getting this to cut straight? Including operator errors and such?

Thanks

saw01.jpg
saw02.jpg

I would take a square to it, check vice fixed jaw is square to blade, check blade is square to base,
is blade tight enough, guide bearings adjusted correctly,
Has it ever cut straight ?

Adjust the jaws to the angle needed to cut straight. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about cutting at a vertical angle? What worked for me was to adjust the roller guides. The natural tendency of a horizontal band saw is to cut at an angle. Loose guides will allow a bit of bias to influence the cut.

Teeth per inch can cause issues too. Make sure you have at least 3 blade teeth in contact with the material you're cutting. A coarse blade and thin material don't mix well. Check the blade to make sure the teeth are not running through the guides. If they are it will take the set out of them and cause it to cut crooked.

by the looks of the second picture the clamp arrangement is not perpendicular to the blade.
put a small try square in the clamp horizontally with a side to the blade.
then use the square to adjust the clamp until perpendicular and lock the clamps down.
make reference marks afterwards to repeat the 90* if you should need to move the clamps for miter work.

If guides are good and pivot is good. Then
1) square solid jaw to blade
2) check vertical alignment of blade and adjust guides as necessary.
3) Try a slower down feed

Thanks Guys,

Yes it has cut straight.

Standing in front of the saw where the piece cut off would hit your toes, the cut starting from the top goes to the rear. The side to side is square. I did square up the clamps.
I'll do some slower feeding tomorrow.
I replaced the bearings trying to correct this. The outside bearing on each side are elliptically adjustable and I got them set so you have to get the blade aligned pretty good before it will go between them.

I'll be back.

Back