Our Saw Cuts Crooked

I had the same problem with my 5X6. I got it close by adjusting the guides but the head of the saw moved from outside to in on the pivot. I fixed it by selling the saw and buying an Ellis 1600 . Seriously though I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I liked the little saw a lot and had a hard time parting with as well as the additional $, but I'm much happier now with straight cuts.

I've been rebuilding an older Taiwan 4x6 for several months; just started making test cuts yesterday. They seem to be very sensitive to errors and play in the main pivot. The tension spring magnifies any error as well making it difficult to cut straight from top to bottom (perpendicular to the table). I'm planning some rework on the pivot assembly and replacing the spring with a hydraulic cylinder-should help considerably.
Mark S.

With the one at work, a new blade and careful adjustment of the hydraulic down feed. You have to allow the blade to work. I'm hoping to get a square cut from an old 4x6 that I bought well used, so thanks for some ideas. As it is every time I go to use it, I end up fixing something.

I think that saw takes 3/4" blades , the one on there doesn't look wide enough to ride where it's supposed to. That would knock the set right out of a new blade.

Thanks Guys,

Yes it has cut straight.

Standing in front of the saw where the piece cut off would hit your toes, the cut starting from the top goes to the rear. The side to side is square. I did square up the clamps.
I'll do some slower feeding tomorrow.
I replaced the bearings trying to correct this. The outside bearing on each side are elliptically adjustable and I got them set so you have to get the blade aligned pretty good before it will go between them.

I'll be back.
Can you swap the roller guides between the inside and outside? If the cut is angled the opposite direction it'd be in the roller guides. Kinda like having a pull on a car to the left. Swap the front tires side to side and if it pulls to the right, it's in the tires.

Bruce

Best tip I ever heard was do not try to adjust the rollers with a blade on the saw. Use a piece of old blade cut long enough to span the cut width. The twist in the blade when on the machine will make adjusting the rollers very difficult. Thought I would never get my old Well-Saw cutting straight, ran across this tip and now it cuts within 1/32 through 4 inches of steel.

Back