Outboard Spider

I’m not familiar with that lathe but “when there’s a will there’s a way”
Is there any spindle sticking out the left side ?.
You may have to modify things a bit , should be doable.

On the end of your spindle is a lock nut that holds the spindle assembly together. You would need to remove that and make a spider that threads on and then use brass tipped set screws, or flat end set screws against brass plugs to lock the spider the the spindle. The spider becomes the lock nut. This may also require removing or modifying the gear cover.

Kinda what I thought, but I wanted to hear it from someone that knows more on the topic than do I. I contacted PM and didn't get an answer as to how to go about the task. Thanks jbolt.

I did something similar on my old lathe to adapt a 5C collet closer. Same principle. Not too difficult to do. Let me know if you have any questions.

When making your own out board spider, do each one of the four adjusting screws,have to be in the same center line,as it’s jaw counter part,on the four jaw chuck?

When making your own out board spider, do each one of the four adjusting screws,have to be in the same center line,as it’s jaw counter part,on the four jaw chuck?

No. Obviously it depends on your application. I just put 3 adjusting screws on mine - but I only use it when holding small diameter round material (rod or tubing). I made up some back end plastic bushings that secure with an O-ring - easier and quicker then a back end spider. It is not like there are a huge number of different sizes that I need (again, my application). 3 bushings and I'm set.

Certainly if your application is small square bar, then you'd need 4 jaws and they would have to line up with your 4 jaw chuck.

Here is an alternative idea if you do a lot of round stock. I do a lot of barrel work and it works perfectly....runs out right at .001 so plenty close enough that far from the work area. Only draw back are octagon barrels

20180221_233721.jpg

20180221_233709.jpg

It is not absolutely necessary but it sure makes the job easier for me.

The man that taught me, used two test indicators, with a range rod. He made all of his adjustments using s barrel fixture from the front of his lathe. He dialed them into dead nuts. Just seem to me if the spider and the chuck jaws were not in line you would not be adjusting the same plane. Will someone explain? Just my thoughts, I'm not trying to contradict anyone. Still in the learning process.

Back