Over 60? Thirsty yet? Then you should know the 2-hour rule!

Yes, they are trying to lower the blood pressure by reducing fluid retention. The reason for a lower salt diet is that every molecule of sodium is bound to a molecule of water(fluid) If you lower the sodium, your body does not have to hold on to the extra fluid.

Yes, they are trying to lower the blood pressure by reducing fluid retention. The reason for a lower salt diet is that every molecule of sodium is bound to a molecule of water(fluid) If you lower the sodium, your body does not have to hold on to the extra fluid.
When I was young, I used far and away too much salt; after a doctor visit in my late teens or early 20s, I embarked on a low salt diet, but still need medications for blood pressure and cholesterol, which seem to be working well.

I embarked on a low salt diet, but still need medications for blood pressure and cholesterol, which seem to be working well.
Just started with these meds 3 weeks ago . :(

Just started with these meds 3 weeks ago . :(
The meds have served me well, had a triple bypass surgery nearly 10 years ago, Dr. wanted to see how it was holding up, got an angiogram a few months ago, and everything is still open, no re occlusion. I take two different statins and various other pills with seemingly no side effects.

Due to dehydration, UTIs are common in the elderly and confusion is an indication of this. Trying to get your parent to drink is difficult.
Pierre
Confusion can also be caused by hyponatremia, i.e.; low blood sodium levels. One cause of hyponatremia is drinking too much (water). Your kidneys will process out some sodium with urine, so if you over hydrate without getting corresponding salt levels, you loose salt.
Been there, done that. Ended up in the emergency room, person with me was worried I was having a stroke.

Last edited:
Confusion can also be caused by hyponatremia, i.e.; low blood sodium levels. One cause of hyponatremia is drinking too much (water). Your kidneys will process out some sodium with urine, so if you over hydrate without getting corresponding salt levels, you loose salt.
Been there, done that. Ended up in the emergency room, person with me was worried I was having a stroke.

I had hyponatremia and got a call from the Dr's office. I stated that I must need more salt. The person who called to inform me said, "oh no, you need to drink something like gatorade (which has salt in it)". I always take a doctor's advice with a very large grain of salt.

Confusion can also be caused by hyponatremia, i.e.; low blood sodium levels. One cause of hyponatremia is drinking too much (water).

Jeez, damned if you do and damned if you don't!

One little imbalance (fluid levels, salt levels, many various brain chemicals) and we're dazed, confused and need a hospital.

No one would ever buy a machine that is as high-maintenance as we are!

-brino

I'm in my late 60's and I known I'm hydrated because I keep getting thank you cards from my local liquior and beer store.

Good information!

Does Coors Lite count?
I'm kidding-no lectures please.

I was pre-diabetic, on high blood pressure medicine, a statin for high cholesterol and diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Decided I had enough medications and went on a low carbohydrate diet and intermittent fasting. Three months later, lost 15 pound (5'7" - 150 pounds now), blood pressure without medication hovers around 128/75 and blood glucose and A1-C are completely normal. Love salt and eat all I want and my blood pressure is normal without medication. As stated, drinking too much water can actually be bad for you. Not here to preach but sugar and simple carbs are the culprit as well as genetics. Read up on it, my opinion is based on my results, YMMV.

To good health.

BTW, I'm also a cancer survivor.

Last edited:
Back