Over arm support build for my mill

Still learning

Registered
Registered
Hi guys I have a new project for my mill.
Need to build a over arm support, I am going to try build it off the cuff as I can't get any details on it is supposed to look like.
I will post some pics here and would really appreciate as much input as I can get.
Hope to hear from you guys.20181120_214905.jpg
Here I am machining some round sock for the arms will try get to size.
20181120_214925.jpg
Ok one done need to finish the next.
20181121_221752.jpg
Right got them both to size and test fitted all good.
Ok next I must machine one side flat on each ring to weld them together.

20181125_214511.jpg
20181125_214520.jpg
After finishing this facing I now tacked them together.

15432567502441872131904541578998.jpg
Ok will keep you guys up to date.
Need to now need to make a bracket to hold a dead center.

Cheers for now

Using a dead center is not the best idea, it wears out the center in the arbor all too easily, best is a bronze bushing for either a piloted arbor or a running bushing on the arbor, I post pictures of both types and the arbor ends. The bushings fir in bores that are tapered, the bushings are split on one side and partially split on two other equal spaces, and are threaded on each end for nuts that draw them into the holes for size adjustment and wear. Having said that, I also have seen older milling machines of the same make (Brown & Sharpe) without the adjustable feature, and they work OK too. You should be able to finish bore the arbor hole in place to get it exactly on center by clamping a push block or blocks onto the table to push the arbor support against your boring bar and leaving the overarm locks loose so they can slide back into the column casting.

B&S arbor support 013.JPG

B&S arbor support 014.JPG

B&S arbor support 015.JPG

Hi john thanks for the advice. I picked up something that looks like it could be modified.20181126_224459.jpg
Going to see if I can some how attached this to the rings, well that's the plan.

Regards
Neal

Still Learning,
what lathe do you have?

Hi it's a lathe made in china the importers rebranded it so not sure what it is. It was half price new so couldn't resist.
It is doing what I need to do but it's now not big enough for the projects I am doing now. Next I will definitely buy a brand name as I have already repaired most of the current parts.

Back