Over center door pull fabrication

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
This was an interesting morning project for me. I have several large shop doors that require pulling the doors shut to keep out the
weather and drafts. It was not difficult really but required a bit if head work to figure out how to put one together.
Next I have to mount the puller and fit the length of the arm and bend it to fit a loop that will be installed on the door. I built the
attachment part removable as it will have to be removed and bent in a vise to fit properly. Also if I change the door seal, the adjustment
may be needed to accommodate the change in fitment. The second one will go much faster after making the prototype. I used several
pieces of square tubing to do the build as it saved a lot of bending that required some degree of accuracy. I see a couple vise grip marks
on the ball from when I removed the part from the lathe. It's just a shop door pull so good enough for that.

P1020804.JPG
In this photo the over center pull is in the loose position.

P1020803.JPG
This is in the retracted or closed position. They are a little tricky to make as the pull has to over-center to work properly.

A good project with a practical application. Avoid those chilly drafts. Well done.

Mal

Back