Overly complicated vise stop

The old toolmaker that got me started in the trade told me that these were PRECISION! Ducky took his apprenticeship in England in the 1920s.

These are used for inspection and layout!! He would of had my head and other things if had found me using them for parallels!
Parallels are usually solid, you use a jack screw if you want something adjustable.

The old toolmaker that got me started in the trade told me that these were PRECISION! Ducky took his apprenticeship in England in the 1920s.
View attachment 293704

These are used for inspection and layout!! He would of had my head and other things if had found me using them for parallels!
Parallels are usually solid, you use a jack screw if you want something adjustable.
I have 2 sets, each has 6 pieces, one set is an older Japanese import I picked up well used and cheap, the other is a nice Starrett set I save for the fussy stuff. Adjustable parallels can take pretty heavy loads without squishing, sliding, or bending. Don't gronk on them in a 6" Kurt vise... Jacks are also good, but often have too much minimum height for thinner work holding.

Back