• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Oversized QCTP Tool Holder ???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Okay, I've Googled enough. What's the deal with oversized tool holders ???
When I purchased a set of QCTP tool holders (Chinese made), one was mark as "Oversized" (250-102XL I think). Are these designed to fit larger QCTP's ???
All I know is it doesn't fit my AXA QCTP. Call it a "NOOB" mistake, but I just figured I'd order a set to get the basic tool holders...knurler, boring bar holder, etc, but why do they include a tool holder for a set designed to fit a specific sized QCTP that won't fit ???

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
The 250-102xl should fit the AXA tool post. It holds a tool up to 5/8. The standard tool block holds tools to 1/2.

JPigg55

Active User
I suppose it could have been a mix-up/mistake at the factory and/or distributor, but the dovetail is too wide and won't clamp tight on my tool post. I'll have to check again, it might have been marked 250-202XL and got mixed in with the wrong set.
If so, I'll have a cheap tool holder for someone with a BXA QCTP. LOL

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I suppose it could have been a mix-up/mistake at the factory and/or distributor, but the dovetail is too wide and won't clamp tight on my tool post. I'll have to check again, it might have been marked 250-202XL and got mixed in with the wrong set.
If so, I'll have a cheap tool holder for someone with a BXA QCTP. LOL
Yes it must be a BXA. Funny I have a BXA tool post. :p

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
My AXA tool holders are 1xx. I think the BXA are 2xx

I have a 102-XL which is 5/8in tall slot. Fits my AXA tool post.

projectnut

Registered
Registered
My AXA tool holders are 1xx. I think the BXA are 2xx

I have a 102-XL which is 5/8in tall slot. Fits my AXA tool post.
I agree. Generally type 1xx series fit AXA tool posts, the type 2xx series fit BXA tool posts, and the type 3xx series fit CXA tool posts. If you're ordering from Shars I can see getting confused. Almost all of their tool holders have an sku # beginning with 202-xxxx. I made a similar mistake when ordering some 5C collets. The sku numbers were a bit confusing and I ended up ordering a duplicate of 2 collets. They were so cheap the return postage would have been nearly the cost of the collets. I just kept them as spares and considered it a lesson learned.

JPigg55

Active User
Tool holder set.jpg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words....
Here's a pic of the set of basic tool holders I bought that was supposed to be sized to fit an AXA QCTP.
As you can see they gave me a 250-101XL and a 250-202XL in the set !!!
Guess that's why it doesn't fit my tool post.

Yes it must be a BXA. Funny I have a BXA tool post. :p
MAKEITOUTOFWOOD, interested in a cheap oversized BXA tool holder ??? LOL

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I looked at my AXA tool holders, and it is not as I thought. They all show 250-1xx. So the 1xx appears to mean the AXA size.

Your 250-2xx is likely a mistake by someone doing the sorting or picking. Bummer.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
You can always trade them for AXA holders with someone who wants BXA holders! (I.e. they could buy AXA's to trade with you)

randyjaco

Active User
Damn, I wish I had had those dimensions when I made mine. I had to trial and error mine. Using the recommended cylinders didn't provide accurate results for me .
Randy

[6]
[5] [7]