Oversized Speed Square

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been a cabinetmaker for almost 50 years. You would think I have most everything I need,

But: even after all this time, whenever I have to miter countertops (usually of 3/4 MDF) I cringe. No matter what I do, how I lay it out, how I cut it, if it's right, it's a rarity. Oh, it's only a degree at most, but that shows up pretty good on six or eight-foot legs.

I want a square that I can lay on the boards, clamp it down, run my saw down the 45 degree sides, and know it's going to make a square corner. If it's wrong, I want to be damn sure it's the wall, and not me. I know I would have to sand out for humps in the drywall, and so forth, but I want to know where to start.

Where can I find something like that? If I have a shop make one out of 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum, could I depend on it? Anybody interested in doing that for me?

wawoodman,
Would one of these be helpful?
If so, then please make me a fair offer.
I really have no idea what she is worth.
I'll get her shipped.

Daryl
MNIMG_1277.JPG

Last edited:
Daryl, they look a little bit small. But thanks for the offer!

Understood the largest is only 24".

Daryl
MN

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks to all.

Make one from scrap MDF.

A simple large triangle that rests on top of the material to be cut with a lip or ledge under to be reference edge.

Make 2 with one fixed and the second adjustable so you can custom cut that odd ball that is not a square corner.

Make is sized to fit most common sized work and make a way to bolt on a linger straight edge to make longer cuts.

Anything that has a moving part will...

Just a simple chunk of MDF with another chunk of wood for the guide rail with some screws and glue to bond it with 2 c clamps to hold in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back