Oversized Stock

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Evening,

Can I cut an oversized (7-inch diameter) round stock on a 1hp, 4x6 horizontal bandsaw?

I was thinking of cutting the top half until the back of the saw rests on the stock, stopping and rotating the stock, and finishing the cut. Probably a rough finish, but that's what the lathe is for.

Thoughts?

what do you lose by trying. I think the worst that will happen, is you take a hacksaw blade to finish.

Yes, you should be able to do what you say. But you would have to remove the front fence and find an alternative to clamp the work. At least that's true for my 4 x 6. Mine will cut to more than half way before it hits the rear guard so cut one side and flip to finish.

You can do it but you will have to do 1/4" turns as RJ said. The blade guide on the handle side does not go back far enough to get to center on mine.
You should be able to go vertical and finish the cut if your piece is 4" long. You gain slightly because the rear guide (where the table attaches) sits a little further back then the clamp jaws. I also tilt some of my pieces when vertical to get a little extra cutting.

You can do it but you will have to do 1/4" turns as RJ said. The blade guide on the handle side does not go back far enough to get to center on mine.
You should be able to go vertical and finish the cut if your piece is 4" long. You gain slightly because the rear guide (where the table attaches) sits a little further back then the clamp jaws. I also tilt some of my pieces when vertical to get a little extra cutting.
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll give the 1/4 turn method a shot. Not sure how to make the vice work. Probably put some vertical extenders on it to better hold the stock.

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll give the 1/4 turn method a shot. Not sure how to make the vice work. Probably put some vertical extenders on it to better hold the stock.

A thought on work holding. A piece of 6" channel would make a cradle for the round stock. The cradle could be fastened to the saw deck with the existing holes for the forward vise jaw. You shouldn't need to clamp the round to the cradle bu if if do, a strap over the top of the round could be made from some worm drive hose clamps. If you can't find the channel, a similar cradle could be fabricate from two pieces of 2" angle iron and a piece of bridging plate.
Band Saw Cradle.JPG

Never quite that large, but I've done exactly what you're suggesting - rotating in increments as suggested by RJ. Slow going, but totally uneventful. You shouldn't have any problems.

Regards

A thought on work holding. A piece of 6" channel would make a cradle for the round stock. The cradle could be fastened to the saw deck with the existing holes for the forward vise jaw. You shouldn't need to clamp the round to the cradle bu if if do, a strap over the top of the round could be made from some worm drive hose clamps. If you can't find the channel, a similar cradle could be fabricate from two pieces of 2" angle iron and a piece of bridging plate.
View attachment 396834
Now that's creative thinking. I'll take a look in the scrap pile for a 6-inch channel. Two angle irons would also probably work if the bolt holes line up. You give up a bit less height that way. However with the rotation approach, height shouldn't matter much.

Back