Overview of the Shen Jey, Osama, Millport, Victor lathes sub-forum

MtnBiker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Intending this sub-forum to be a clearing house for information on 16+ inch lathes made in Taiwan by several manufacturers that seem to have shared many common design elements (and possibly a factory too). Unlike American Mid-West iron, and top-flight Asian machines from Mori Seiki and clones (like Whacheon), and even some designs similar to Mori (Okuma/YAM/Yang), there does not appear to be a cult following or a lot of ongoing support for these very high quality lathes.

Buying a used lathe is always challenging. Orphaned equipment with limited support even more so. The rough part about these lathes is that they were sold under so many brand names and at this point it is difficult to know who made what and where to get manuals, parts and ideas on maintenance and repair. The upside is price - the relatively fragmented branding may allow the hobby and small shop machinist to get a heck of a deal on an amazing piece of equipment.

This particular design pattern, unique from Mori and Sun Master designs, has continued to evolve and is still around. Eisen imports new lathes that share this design pattern but with a few improvements (essentially they are even more "robustified"). Made in Taiwan by WinHo, these lathes compete directly in the 16" class (see Precision Matthews TL series) of medium size commercial lathes as well as a full range of larger lathes. I'm not sure who makes the smaller Taiwan-made Eisen's but they appear to be amazing machines as well and would fit on this forum all the same.

What do these "WinHo" pattern machines have to offer?

Key differentiators for this design pattern:

Unique, very simple and intuitive operation of the carriage/feed/cross-feed. Even a cave-man can do it. Flip up for cross feed, down for carriage feed. No fiddling with pulling a lever in and out before engaging.

10 position wheel for feed rate changes - set the right letter combo then tune cut quality with the 10 position speed change wheel.
Extra swing in the 16" class (16.9").

Other goodness:

Ample power (generally had 7.5hp - 10hp motors).
Wide bed - the Sen Jeys/Millport and Victors had almost 12" wide beds (as do the Eisen equivalents). Very rugged.
The older (mid 80's) versions had a one-piece casting from bed-ways to base. Exceptionally rigid.
Clutched carriage feed that works with micrometer stops.
One-shot lube on the carriage.
Very robust, inch-pitch, lead screws (1 3/8").
Universal gear box with no change gears for inch/metric.
D1-6/D1-8 spindles which are exceptionally flexible.
A no-compromise fully commercial design for this size class (I sound like Matt at PM).

The new lathes from Eisen are even more robust on the Apron - massively rigid.

20210630_172606.jpg

This is my Osama Sr 17x40. Bought mid-2021 and made in late 1983. Almost 4,000 lbs of lathey goodness. Exceptionally smooth running and a bit of a time capsule as it was never used in a commercial setting (a one-owner machine purchased new for a garage hobby shop). Picked this up from an informal estate sale for $3,500. If it were a Mori in similar condition it would have sold for more than $10k for sure.

Already I've had good luck buying new parts from Eisen. I will start a parts compatibility thread separately. Got to give Eisen full props, they are very easy to work with and pride themselves on supporting older machines.

Attached an old brochure (guessing late 70's version).

More to come.

Attachments

• Osama-Sr-Precision-High-Speed-Lathe-Brochure.pdf
    455.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I like it, plenty of lathey goodness. I'll tell Santa I've been extra good this year
-Mark

The AJAX lathe was another in that group, I used to run one for a former employer...........

Abom's Victor is a slightly earlier version of the same design...on his spindle adjustment YouTube I compared the guts of the headstock. Beside a very slight gearing difference it was identical. It would be good to have a critical mass of technical info on these. Ozark Woodworker has a side business collecting and reprinting old machine manuals. They are looking for mine. They had the one for Abom's Victor.

Update: no luck with Ozark. I'll keep in eye out.

Last edited:
here's a link to my Victor 2040

if you email me at ulmadoc@gmail.com,
i'll be happy to share the 16" to 20" Victor manual pdf i have

here's a link to my Victor 2040

if you email me at ulmadoc@gmail.com,
i'll be happy to share the 16" to 20" Victor manual pdf i have
That's what I'm talking about!

I have been manually oiling my Victor 1640. This weekend I took the compound and cross slide off. Buried below a heap of swarf (carbon dated to the cro magnon era) was a small aluminum manifold with 6 aluminum lines going into it (I assume 1 in, 5 out). 2 of the 6 lines were corroded thru and separated. No oil was coming out of the broken lines. I thought it might be nice to replace them but I am at a loss as to the type of fittings. I am pretty sure they are simple compression fittings, with metric threads. In the picture below, the manual shows the manifold, lines and fittings.
Number 8 is called out as "distributor". I am assuming that this is a simple block with 6 passages connected to a common passage.
Number 9 is called out as "4mm x 250 aluminum pipe
Number 10 is called out as "compression plug" which I assume to mean compression fitting
IMG_8075.jpg

If anybody knows, my questions are:
where can I source the compression fittings with the metric threads? I might be able to salvage the fittings, but would prefer to just replace
The 4mm tubing is likely common, but how about a flaring tool?
I am assuming I can make the manifold if I know the threads for the compression fittings. Does anyone know what the metric size / style threads are so that I could look for a tap?

Thanks in advance,
Dazed and confused

I have been manually oiling my Victor 1640. This weekend I took the compound and cross slide off. Buried below a heap of swarf (carbon dated to the cro magnon era) was a small aluminum manifold with 6 aluminum lines going into it (I assume 1 in, 5 out). 2 of the 6 lines were corroded thru and separated. No oil was coming out of the broken lines. I thought it might be nice to replace them but I am at a loss as to the type of fittings. I am pretty sure they are simple compression fittings, with metric threads. In the picture below, the manual shows the manifold, lines and fittings.
Number 8 is called out as "distributor". I am assuming that this is a simple block with 6 passages connected to a common passage.
Number 9 is called out as "4mm x 250 aluminum pipe
Number 10 is called out as "compression plug" which I assume to mean compression fitting
View attachment 384103

If anybody knows, my questions are:
where can I source the compression fittings with the metric threads? I might be able to salvage the fittings, but would prefer to just replace
The 4mm tubing is likely common, but how about a flaring tool?
I am assuming I can make the manifold if I know the threads for the compression fittings. Does anyone know what the metric size / style threads are so that I could look for a tap?

Thanks in advance,
Dazed and confused
If you find parts that work, make sure you put some info in the parts compatibility section.

Back