Oxy acetylene regulator question

Well I may as well throw my 2 cents in this discussion. I've been a millwright for over 30 years some my training and practice has been O2 open fully because of the double seat in the valve, Acetylene open 1/2 turn incase there is is a fire its quick to shut off. Don't worry if you have O2 leak it's not combustible, it only supports combustion Flash back arrestors are attached to the torch mixer never at the tank. If a flash back occurs it's going to be at the mixer, since the O2 is at a higher pressure it could force any flame up the acetylene hose. Acetylene cylinders are normally stored in the vertical up right position. If at anytime the cylinder has been in the horizontal position, place it vertically for at least 1/2 hour to allow the acetone to drain back and settle, if this is not done you may get liquid acetone out of the tank instead of acetylene. If pressures are fluctuating at the regulator and you've opened the tanks properly the regulator is probably the culprit, repair the regulator or throw it away and buy a new one. When done with torch shut the tanks off, back both regulators out till zero pressure and relieve the pressure in the hoses and mixer. If you don't plan on using the torch for an extended period of time remove the regulators and cap the tanks.
I have seen in scrap yards where thay had the tanks laying flat in the back of an old scraped station wagon and drove around from car to car cutting what was needed.

When done with torch shut the tanks off, back both regulators out till zero pressure and relieve the pressure in the hoses and mixer. If you don't plan on using the torch for an extended period of time remove the regulators and cap the tanks.

This is an older post, but the recent comment brought it up and I noticed this quote. The order is wrong. Close the valve on the tanks, relieve the pressure in the lines, close the valves on the torch, then back the regulators out to zero. If you back the regulators out to zero first it leaves pressure on the diaphram in the regulator.

This is an older post, but the recent comment brought it up and I noticed this quote. The order is wrong. Close the valve on the tanks, relieve the pressure in the lines, close the valves on the torch, then back the regulators out to zero. If you back the regulators out to zero first it leaves pressure on the diaphram in the regulator.
Correct. Wrong order. At work we allays removed the regulator as a last step, which I did not mention. Your method is right if the regulators are to be left on.

Back