PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I vote no, I also agree with Charlie Davidson.
I posted a few projects when I came here and got what seemed like little interest.
So, I now I come here to learn, more than I post.
It is not just here, I find the same thing on other forums.
Larry

Nope. I will post for free, to share, to allow others to see what can be done, and for others to learn and develop their own ideas, but I do not think that projects should be paid for.

I admit that I have not posted any projects yet, mostly because the things I have worked on the last year or so have been small simple parts for odd repair projects here and there. Older projects never got photographed or documented. I am currently working on setting up my shop space in my basement when I have the time, and it has been progressing slowly. I promised myself that I will not take shortcuts on this.... walls, wiring, sheet rock, taping, paint, floor surface will all be done before I move anything into the shop. If I don't do it that way those details will not get done and it will all look shabby.

In the mean time, my machines are out in my very full garage, clutter and all. I have been doing some work on the machines themselves, which I will be documenting in the near future and posting as projects, but I am not quite there yet. I just started collecting my own machines a couple of years ago, and, being a hobby, they have to take a back seat to things like family and work. I know, the work thing sucks and gets in the way of more enjoyable things, but it pays the bills.

Anyway, I plan to have some stuff to add and post in the near future, free for all to see.

Heck NO. I am just a lurker & don't have any machinery, I come here to dream. The projects that I have seen are interesting to give you ideas. If you are going to pay for pictures of projects where will these funds come from ? A paid subscription I SURE hope not. Tubalcain & Keith Fenner do have nice how to U tube videos which are fun to watch. Thanks John

If you are going to pay for pictures of projects where will these funds come from ? A paid subscription I SURE hope not.

I would pay for it out of my own pocket (not the donation funds- those are reserved for site expenses. There would be NO paid subscriptions. I would pay it.

I would pay for it out of my own pocket (not the donation funds- those are reserved for site expenses. There would be NO paid subscriptions. I would pay it.

How about starting a general projects forum and do the prizes if you want. Get it started and see how it goes. A single place for something more than a single pic of something. I'll try to post a small project as a starter.

Some of the existing project threads could be moved there also, machine restorations etc if the poster wants it there.

Might want a few rules made up but maybe those could be done on the fly as we learn what works and what doesn't.

As a newbe I vote no
It y'all knew how much I appreciate all the info & questions answered you'd be more than paid!!

I'll try to do better at commenting on all the neat projects. I think I learn something from every one.

Thanks for having me

Ron alias scruffy

I would be happy to post a project for free but you'd have to pay the other members to help me through it:LOL:

I gotta call Bear Scatt on that. I've seen your posts of machines you've brought back to life after long lingering deaths and they're works of art in my eyes.

I've got to admit that I've admired many projects here that I've not commented on. That will change. This is indeed a "Friendly Forum" but I'm a member on various forums where one would be called out as a "post whore" commenting as some see it as just a vehicle to expand post counts. Doesn't seem to be the case here but I guess over the years I've become gun shy.

I haven't posted many of the things I've done simply because I've felt at my level anything I'm competent enough to do is dwarfed by what many of you guys do. I would have been guilty of the poster who commented on the "new knob" for my lathe. I did exactly that. I took photos along the way when making my cross slide lock then decided not to waste bandwidth (which I know isn't free) because most here could do it in their sleep though it was quite an accomplishment for me.

I trust this post make sense and expressed my thoughts as I have them in my head.

Bottom line: No Vote on the payment thing.

This forum ROCKS! (As it is, I think)

Anyone interested can stick with this forum, pay attention, and get a good education for free. That's already like getting paid, because we get to use the knowledge to make things. Some of us even get paid to make things for others - after we've learned how to make those components (or at least use the techniques which we apply to paid projects). And, I suspect many of us have saved money by using forum knowledge to avoid making expensive mistakes or buying the wrong tooling.

Being "richly compensated" for our time is not always about cash. This is a great community full of good folks who will help when a guy or gal needs it.

Tom

It would be pretty cool to get extra cash for posting a project, like I have gotten cash for writing an article to magazines. But to be honest, the real reason why I haven't posted any project is because I really don't even have any time at all for projects to work on!

If you find a way to get me time, instead of cash, I'll be more than happy to post and re-post ;-)

That darned time... Where does it goes???

Back