Paint advice on an old lathe

rambin

Registered
Registered
im slowly painting an old logan lathe, I just used rattle can (ace machinery gray) which is almost positively rustoleum worked out great for most of the lathe only issue I have is the carriage where hot chips land is getting some pits.... ive seen some clear coats in a spray can which say there for high heat and oil and gas resistance. was wondering if a coat of this would fix my problem? ya I know a good brush on paint would probably be better but who has the time. anyone try these clear coats? I was even thinking the high heat paint for engines but couldn't find machinery grey...most are orange or red it seems.

In my household, I spray a part, let it air dry overnight then bake it in the oven (same oven I use for baking cookies or ham,) for a couple of hours at 175º or 200º and turn the oven off and let it cool until room temperature. I don't know about heat resistance, but I can't nick it with a thumbnail. It can't hurt to try.

I use the sun to get the part really warm for a few hours then let cool. Usually hardens the paint pretty well, brush or spray
They sell hardeners you can add to enamel, if you really need a rock-hard finish- Valspar is one brand I think
ps Bredehoft must have strange tasting cookies

Last edited:
I tell folks to go to Tractor Supply and buy Tractor engine paint

Most good paint jobs are really done by your prep work. The engine paints all should work well for machines. If go with can paint with brush or air you can adjust the color and add hardeners to the mix. If you like the rattle can go for it your prep will show a good job .

I used Hammerite and brush painted my lathe.
Hammerite dries to a very hard finish.

Be_Zero_Be

IMG_0299.jpg

Hammerite, whether shot by rattlecan or by gun, has been permanently banned from my shop space for the heinous crime of chipping when looked at and flaking under the paws of kittens. I think if you wanted to strip a piece with Hammerite, you could just breathe on it until all the paint falls away.

Engine enamel, however, is lovely stuff. It has a lot of resin in it, is resistant to oil, and it *loves* being hit with the heat gun after spraying. Engine enamel cured on with a heat gun is great for your iron. Test it on something and see.

Pontiac428,
I have had good results with hamerite at home and at work.
If I really want a tough finish I use Por-15.
I used it on the frame and undercarriage on my Model T and it is tough.
In my opinion it is second only to powder coating.

Be_Zero_Be

from what im reading high heat engine rattle can might be worth pursuing... hopefully I can match the ace machine grey ive done most of the lathe with. only the saddle/cross feed area where the hot chips are landing is getting chipped

Back