Paint advice on an old lathe

I had a student tell me about glass filled enamel he brushed on and it flowed out as if it was sprayed. I can't find it on the net. Maybe someone else knows? Or is that Hammerite paint?

I had a student tell me about glass filled enamel he brushed on and it flowed out as if it was sprayed. I can't find it on the net. Maybe someone else knows? Or is that Hammerite paint?
That's POR-15 paint. It is really nice stuff.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

i guess the big question is has anyone ever seen a high heat engine rattle can in machine grey... best ive seen so far is a ford gray which I believe is darker? rest of the lathe is ace brand machine gray which Im sure rustoleum canned for ace. ive checked a few stores without luck, not a big selection in the engine paint.. I even looked at napa thinking they might have a bigger selection being in the automotive market

I like rustoleum hammered paint. Home depot will mix it to match for you.

1530814909433.png

POR-15 is really great stuff, (color selection is minimal, however, black and white is all I know about, maybe 'silver'.) It is not strictly speaking a paint. It goes on and covers like glass, but doesn't dry, it cures. It absorbs moisture from the air and gets hard. Really hard. It bonds to steel and iron, excluding moisture. Don't get it on clothing, nothing removes it but scissors. On skin it must wear off if not removed within (perhaps) 30 minutes. It will chip, I don't know what hot chips will do to it. I put it all over the underneath of my car (see avatar) but not where I was going to paint over. Another concern, once a can is opened figure on using it all, it may "go off" after you seal the can.

POR-15 makes a solvent that will remove paint from your hands etc.
I have found that if you put the reminder of a can into a glass jar with a tight lid it will keep for months.
Be very sure there is no paint on the jar rim or lid.
If there is, you will never get the lid off.
If it gets thick, the POR-15 solvent will thin it out again.
As i mentioned I used in on my Avatar (1916 Ford Model T) on the under carriage (front end, rear end, frame, etc.).
I even used it on my wood firewall and floorboards.
It adheres really well and wears like iron.

Be_Zero_Be

Last edited:
Hammerite has glass it in but they changed the formulae about 10 years ago to comply with EU laws and not as good as the old stuff.
POR15, like any can punch holes around the rim under where the lid seats to allow drips to drain. Use a doubled up piece on Glad-Wrap/cling film over the top under lid and keep in the fridge. Try not to use on a really humid day or when raining. keep covered as much as possible as being Hygroscopic it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere which sets it off.

I had a painter tell me how great that por15 was and I had him sandblast and paint my open trailer... ya it might be good but It was later explained to me the stuff has no sun protection..it faded and pretty much washes off the trailer after being left in the sun... the nice dark black is now a faded almost greyish looks like ****... I realize my lathe wont see the sun but that pretty much turned me off the stuff and thatw why its used for tractor frames and such... it cant take the sun!

Hello Rambin,
If you read the spec sheet and/or the instructions on the can you will see that the POR 15 Primer has little UV protection which is why the manufacture states that it must be top-coated.

Back