Paint? Color?

When I read this yesterday I was lost for words…

I hope you have stopped shaking by now…and no other pains/injuries, that could be hidden by the adrenaline rush, have surfaced.

You might want to leave the chuck off for the next test…. Just saying….

Oh, and be sure to buy a lottery ticket… share the numbers so we can all cash in your luck as well.

Last edited:
The Zamak degrades internally so not much one can do based on the literature. Polish and a clear coat is about it.
Pierre
Ah, zinc “pest”. Caused by lead contamination in the zinc pour.

Read up on it and seems Atlas used zamak 3, which is spec’d at 99.99% pure zinc. This supposedly does away with the zinc pest problem. Seems contamination in the zinc alloy leads to crystallization internal to the zamak (I assume similar to galvanic corrosion), which makes it crumble from inside.

Strength and durability of zamak for it’s application is an entirely different question….

When I read this yesterday I was lost for words…

I hope you have stopped shaking by now…and no other pains/injuries, that could be hidden by the adrenaline rush, have surfaced.

You might want to leave the chuck off for the next test…. Just saying….

Oh, and be sure to buy a lottery ticket… share the numbers so we can all cash in your luck as well.
Pretty sure I used up all my luck for that day….

Alrighty. Picked up a fistful of 5k pots that I think will work.

Then I ran across a speed pot kit by danfoss with the right pot in it. Being sold as “surplus and was 30 bucks shipped. So I grabbed it.

At least now I’ll have an orginal pot to meter and confirm the new pots will do the job…

Lucky!
I have the braking turned off to avoid that issue. I know it could lead to other issues with a 5 second stop but that is the compromise.
Pierre

Lucky!
I have the braking turned off to avoid that issue. I know it could lead to other issues with a 5 second stop but that is the compromise.
Pierre
I have/had mine setup for soft stop instead of dynamic braking. I figure the dead short in the pot must have tossed all the settings into the crapper….at least while the shorted pot was in the loop.

With the high rpm any kind of stop/slow down would give issues! Pierre

Tried a color on the medallions:

8A2F9B4A-879B-479B-9271-F748C6A233D9.jpeg

Not bad. It’s “cranberry pearl”. An automotive paint color. I think it was for a chrysler. Found a couple cans in the paint drawer and thought I’d try it.

I made a few small scratches while removing the paint, but those are easily touched up.

Still thinking about it. I like that its different than the oem primary red color and the cranberry goes nice with the turquoise.

Might just be a keeper….

That looks amazing

Back