Paint color

Don't want to derail this thread, but we were talking paint, and do want to remain constructive. The base has issues, this is the new one. I think the design can get improved without adding cost. The headstock end is too flexible (documented in other posts) so it wiggles when you bump it with your hand. The top is not flat (I'm thinking this could be an order of operations thing) and not stiff enough. Adding a couple of stiffeners inside at the top to carry the forces to the vertical faces may do it, I'm also adding in a 3/8 plate to see if I can pull it flat with the mounting bolts. The pedestal structure seems substantial enough other than that. So welding on the stand is going to require paint. It's a dark grey though, not the blue the mills seem to be and thought a match had been found. Maybe different factories? Considered building my own, especially for the cost, but thought they had it worked out with the new design. I'm 6'-4", most people are not - spindle height is too low but that's my issue not a design probem. The lathe, as a turning tool, is very nice - have not used it enough to get the rhythm down (muscle memory from using my Craftsman for over 30 years), but that will come.

Back