Paint for PLA?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought some parts that were made with PLA. Is there a good type of paint that will really stick and not easily come off?

krylon rattle can paint works pretty well (the very few times I painted PLA)

Por15 stuff sticks to anything and is the most durable stuff they make. Don’t get on skin it won’t come off with spirits has to wear off.

I have used POR-15 before on some of my cars etc....that is tough stuff. One time I put it on something I later changed my mind and tried sanding as well as sand blasting. That stuff just did not want to come off!

I will go with the Krylon rattle can as it will atomize where as the POR-15 doesn’t.

I have thinned POR 15 a bit and sprayed it before. Krylon would be the easiest option.
Ryan

Most of my PLA prints have been painted with Rustoleum rattle cans. Goes on easily and no wear issues at all.

When you clean the pla right before spraying make sure to GENTLY wipe the surface (isopropyl alcohol is what i use), DO NOT SCRUB the surface. If you scub you risk bring Unwanted release agents or other oily residue to the surface that the paint will not stick to and will ruin your work piece. This is generally a good practice when painting anything that is made from plastic with some being worse then others.

Back