PAINT!!

cbrmadman

Registered
Registered
Restoring my old Atlas mill and base cabinet. What kind of paint can I pick up locally that will resist oil chips and degreaser without breaking my bank??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Restoring my old Atlas mill and base cabinet. What kind of paint can I pick up locally that will resist oil chips and degreaser without breaking my bank??

I won't advise you on different kinds of paint because I really don't know much about it, I usually just use "tremclad rust paint" and mix a couple colors to get close to what I want, but have a look at some Japan Dryer if your using a compressor and spray gun set up and Enamel paint, it's wonderful stuff, it really makes Enamel paints quit a bit tougher and a little more resistant to different types of chemicals.:))

Edit: nothing fancy about mixing it, I just thin the enamel until its right for my gun and pour the Japan Dryer in until theres a little layer covering the paint, mix it in and spray, get it out of the gun as soon as possible though and run a little solvent through the spray gun.

Thanks Don
Hows that tremclad work for you
My biggest concern is the degreaser that stuff like to melt paint away

Thanks Don
Hows that tremclad work for you
My biggest concern is the degreaser that stuff like to melt paint away

It really toughens it up, I'm not sure exactly what type of degreaser you mean but I started using this method on cowling's of RC planes, the RC fuel will strip normal pain right off and stain it as well, and the special paints where quit expensive to experiment with, I've cleaned off things I've painted with lacquer thiner and besides a little color on the rag really no damage, I'm sure it would if it soaked in though.

How much does that epoxy paint cost toolmaster

Just curious… why not powder coating?
Not that of my Cheapex Chinese drill press, still leaving colored dust 5 years I'm using it, but something more robust.

Just curious… why not powder coating?
Not that of my Cheapex Chinese drill press, still leaving colored dust 5 years I'm using it, but something more robust.

I've wondered how hard powder coating is to, and if there's a practical/affordable way for a person to do it in the home shop, I have a nephew who paints in his own shop, but I know he send all the powder coating stuff out, I guessed/assumed based on that it was impractical for the average person :thinking:

I've wondered how hard powder coating is to, and if there's a practical/affordable way for a person to do it in the home shop, I have a nephew who paints in his own shop, but I know he send all the powder coating stuff out, I guessed/assumed based on that it was impractical for the average person :thinking:

According to the many YouTube videos available it seems an easy method: degrease, sand blast, spray dust, cook.
Even Harbor Freak has a gun for an almost cheap price: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html
My guess is the quality of the coating highly depends by the type of powder and by the cooking, rather than by the gun.

How much does that epoxy paint cost toolmaster

I priced a gallon about 3 months ago at National Coating and Supply @ $110 per gallon. It is a 2 part epoxy thats tinted to your limited color choice. It has about a 2 hour cure time.It bonds to bare metal or filler material, but could make old paint wrinkle, and blister. After fully cured (a full 24 hours) it is resistant to most chemicals used in the home shop.
The paint man told me all this when I asked him about it.
He said the coverage was fair (one gallon per big machine)
He warned me to purchase a cheap spray gun and just throw it away when done; if any hardens in the pickup or the cup it will be ruined anyway.

Jake Parker

Back