PAINT!!

I have tried many alternatives and my conclusion is that cheap and durable are mutualy exclusive, especialy when it comes to chemical resistance. I have gone to using automotive grade epoxy or polyester primer and automotive grade acrylic enamel paint. Acetone won't touch it, and that's my acid test for paint. I get mine from a supplier in San Diego over the internet (paints sold in CA have to be low VOC, so out of state sourcing is out for me, they won't even ship it here). It's actualy very reasonably priced for automotive paint, but it's still way more expensive than the rattle can from the hardware store.

I paint dental/medical equipment in my day job. Higher end single stage urethane we use is $48 a pint and $159 a gallon - wholesale pricing. If it chips or scratches or discolors from UV I warranty it. It gets handled constantly all day and can get wiped with alcohol every 10 minutes or so depending on the location. We also use powder coat. If done correctly it does not chip, flake, or even discolor with UV. Lacquer thinner is the ultimate test for paint IMHO.

Depending on the color, the paint I get runs about 35 per quart and 80 or so a gallon. I have experience with the acrylic enamel, and I have heard from some of the local guys that it stands up better for our conditions here (desert) than the urethane paints. Not that it matters much for a machine inside a building, but I use the spray "Brake Cleaner" for cleanup in the shop frequently, and from the smell and feel, it is pure acetone. I don't keep lacquer thinner or enamel reducer around, since the low VOC paints don't use it.

Boat paints are pretty good also if you can live with the limited color choices. 2 part polyurethanes that are pretty resistant to most stuff.

I have not had the inclination to mess with it yet, but I picked up one of the cheap Craftsman powder coating guns. Picked it up for like $30 it is like a hair drier with an electrostatic lead. Have not picked up a toaster over to test it out. Someday it will make it on the to do list.

Back