Painting a Craftsman/Atlas lathe

The hardener is mixed in with the paint and thinner before it is sprayed. Don't forget the respirator when spraying paint especially if your using hardener. Nasty stuff to breath.

Good point. The stuff is isocyanate free, but should still be used with a respirator.

Tom

While I like my machines grey I can appreciate other machines that have been well executed in different colors.

While I like my machines grey I can appreciate other machines that have been well executed in different colors.
I hear ya Buck.... Those of you who posted pics of your machines is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Like I said. My mind is pretty much made up with the grey color, but I still wanted to see my possible options.

I wear blue and gray, I want to look at color so I went with Hammered Gold. I'm sure some of you are cringing.

I'm just surprised that being in Baton Rouge, you didn't paint it purple and gold :))

I used Sherwin Williams Polymer Blue. If I had to do it all over, I probably would have gone with something else, but I'm certainly happy with it.

20130925_194152.jpg

20130925_194152.jpg

Either way, they look sharp. I'm jealous of those 54" beds, as someone mentioned to me, they're like aircraft carrier decks, LOTS of real estate to play with. I can only hope that when I get mine finished up, that it looks as impressive as some of the others I've seen on this forum.

Terry

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that I wouldn't paint any civilian machine tool any color except gray.

Robert D.

Strikes me the same as Henry Ford's "a car can be any color as long as it's black".
When, why and who originally decided that machine tools should be gray ?
It surely not that way with woodworking machinery, you can pretty much tell who made it by it's color.
HWF

Speaking of Ford, I picked up a can of Van Sickle paint to test the color, Light Ford Gray 465. I took a saddle that I'd picked up, did electrolysis to remove the old paint and a bit of rust. Then primed and hit it with 2 coats of the Ford gray. Here is a comparison between that, and a couple of other saddles, the one on the right is the one I got with my lathe and was painted by someone else.

DSCN0526[1].JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The middle one goes into electrolysis very shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and my 'shop' consists of the total area of my workbench, so its always cluttered ;)

DSCN0526[1].JPG

Not into sports??? You and me both. I get a ton of crap from guys at work for not liking them. Drag racing and land speed racing. That's about it. Guys always get pi$$ed at me for not getting into whatever pool that's going around on the jobsite.

- - - Updated - - -

Back