painting cast iron

Calixt0

Registered
Registered
hello, I'm going getting ready to start painting my my lathe casting. I have been doing some grinding on the casting marks trying to smooth out the area between the ways. I don't care about an autobody show room type of finish. What high build brushable primer do any of you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
shaun

Fill it with paint like they did in old days...

They used various Linds of fillers and today bond for big spots and there are glazes for smaller ones.

But if the area is not too bad paint it.

We use rust olium from lowes as it requires acetone to thin so check first.

We use a detail sprayer from hf that goes on sale for 9.99 and it is bowl feed.

Use a syrenge to fill so easy no mess and consistent measurement.

Mix a thick batch as it sprays a small pattern with minimal over spray so you can build up the coating and it can come out great...but...

It does take time like weeks to fully harden and when hard it can be sanded.

Our SB 14.5 came out fantastic after many coats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Yes that is it.

Easy to cleanup and we use coffee filters to strain the solvent so we can reuse it.

Side note...we made a tip cleaner by first getting a quick connect fitting for the air hose with a pipe union and pipe plug .

Drill and tap the inside end of plug for tip then tip screws into plug then plug screws into union while other end has the quick connect.

Dip it in solvent then connect to air and it blows out backwards.

If can cleaned right after use it usually stays good but over time some film builds up or a chunk of paint gets stuck in the tip.

Hae painted gallons with ours.

You can add hardener to your acrylic paint.
Speeds up cure time for these painting cycles.

tq60.. do you have a link to the rustoleum primer you use? still thinking I need to fill it first tho?

We use a primer we picked up at TSC but primer is not that important to brand as long as it is oil base intended for use on metal.

Years ago TSC sold Valspar and they had primer for galvanized metal and that stuff is fantastic as it sticks well and will show dark fingerprints of washed hands meaning paint bonds very well.

If not in ca you may be able to find it.

I ordered some of the brushable filler primer that uses acetone to cut from Rust-oleum. will take a few pics when I'm ready and in progress.

We use a primer we picked up at TSC but primer is not that important to brand as long as it is oil base intended for use on metal.

Years ago TSC sold Valspar and they had primer for galvanized metal and that stuff is fantastic as it sticks well and will show dark fingerprints of washed hands meaning paint bonds very well.

If not in ca you may be able to find it.

Ace Hardware now stocks Valspar. My local store will special order.

Back